Smallest Power amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bgmww, Dec 4, 2012.

1. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    I just found this little, yet quite powerfull, power amp.. and it looks ineresting.
    I was looking for small amps or poweramps cos i want to build one (if mono) or two (if stereo) 210 DIY cabs, and i found this little device, which looks exactly what i want. Small, light and powerfull.. 2x 160 W is great ! AND not expensive !
    What do you think ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have nothing to do with this company.

More info about it here:

http://www.st.com/internet/imag_video/product/252587.jsp

It's on ebay too, but i dunno if i can post the link.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    My gut reaction from the pics: The power supply doesn't strike me as being big enough to be rated at 320+ W. It would be interesting to see a blow-up of that pic. The power amp chip may be quite efficient, but it's got a relatively small heat sink and no access to external ventilation. Amusingly, watching the evolution of the "micro" bass heads, most of the newer ones have small cooling fans.

With the power supply, it ceases to be super tiny. I'd spend an extra few bucks on a micro head.

3. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Hiwatt UK
    yes.. maybe drilling a few holes on the cover... and attaching a small fan.. i dunno.

I searched for micro heads with similar specs.. but i found nothing a few bucks more expensive than this..

I think i'll give it a try and see what happens.. i'd rather spending 90 dolars on this small power amp... and if it blows up.. well.. it's not too much money.