1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Smallest rig possible

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by chuck norriss, Apr 15, 2014.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I use the STL-8 with a GK MB200 amp for those small gigs. Everything fits in the gig bag. The only advantage to my setup (that I see) is fewer cables ... no big deal, I guess; and that my amp has plenty of power if the venue provides a larger cab. It's amazing what we have today, isn't it?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    That GK is pretty small how do you like it? I used to playthrough 400RB (?) 400 something it sounded good but it wasn't loud enough in to 2x12--at the time I was playing in a very loud band.

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Chuck,
    Your photographs are stunning, I was wondering if you knew that this is the Double Bass side of TB? ;) It looks like
    your choices might work for upright, but are better suited to EB. Just wondering. Even then, 44 watts into an 8" speaker won't get you very far.
    A Headway EDB-2 and Demeter Minnie costs a whole lot more, but it's a serious rig, with the power and tone shaping to drive any cabinet choices. I do like the pre amp.

Ric

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    I like it ... but it can't do every gig. My main rig these days is a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 with a GB STL-12. Rocks my five piece country band four times a month. I've definitely down-sized a lot in the last five years.

8. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    This one has it's flaws, but it is in fact even smaller. Got me through a 2 hour restaurant gig last night with a drummer and piano.

Attached Files:

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is that the NoAmp or have you switched to Eschew Amplification also?

Staccato likes this.
  10. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    thanks ric!
    I did not realize i posted in db side but I suppose this is applicable to both. I don't mind if it's moved to ebg side.

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Ha! awesome.

12. Do you just put it to your lips and go pbbbbbbbbbbbbppppppp?

I'd think a Kala or an Ashbory and a Shuttle 3.0 8T would be the smallest gig able rig, way smaller than any upright.

13. eban3

eban3 Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2007
    Fairfield Ct
    amazing little amp , was discontinued shortly after release due to faulty power supply's failing in warranty ,i've had mine 3 years ,use it daily no problems

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAP5110

14. 22lbs is kind of heavy these days. That GB is 13 lbs and 175 watts.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/genz-benz-shuttle-3.0-8t-300-watt-lightweight-bass-1x8-combo

15. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I had a sponsorship deal with Eschew, but it fell through over my nudity clause.

Seriously, though I'm not anti-amplification, but it's nice to get by without sometimes and others, the gig requests it.

My EA Micro/Wizzy 10 is pretty freaking small and sounds great when I need a little. The AIs are great too. Would like to try the Phil Jones and Genz-Benz mini-rigs sometime too.

Pickups are a bigger headache for me than amps at the moment.

16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    It's that newfangled system, powered by BOWS.

17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah that PJB Briefcase is small. Never tried it though. I tested the MB Micromark 801--nice but doesn't like more than one note going through it at once, especially with low-B.

18. Here's mine. Genz Benz Shenandoah Compak 10T. Acoustic Amp. Sounds great with an EUB too even though I'm shopping for a new one.

[​IMG]

19. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Disclosures:
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Uhm... sure you can. Don't need an amp, don't even need a drummer (with Built-in Amp and Rhythms).

[​IMG]

Groove-meisters

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    hows that sound? errrrr best bass for badminton or canoe paddle. jk