1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Smashed My Fingers Saturday - Scared Me!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Richland123

Richland123

On Saturday afternoon, I was unloading band gear from my van and the sliding door slammed shut on my index and middle fingers on my right hand. Scared me as I did not know if I broke them or not and they started to swell and bleed.

The first thing that I thought of is how am I going to play Sunday.

I immediately ran into the house and ran cold water on them and bandaged them. I kept moving them even though they hurt badly and were bleeding.

Thankfully, I did not break them. I was able to play a festival gig yesterday and all that's left is a small injury on each finger and they are still sore but moveable.

I am always super careful with my hands to guard against injuries but this just happened so quickly.
  2. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

Same boat , different port here. My day job is in construction and I work with some pretty dangerous stuff , so I'm always worried about mashing or even cutting something off.Had a few misshaps but so far nothing too serious. Be carefull out there.
  3. bw66

bw66

I came very close to crushing my fingers the other day while mucking about in my garage. Fortunately, I recognized my stupidity just in time and got away with just one blackened fingernail. Scared the crap out of me though.
  4. wraub

wraub

You gotta watch those digits! Pretty much cut off the tip of my L middle finger when younger, cut it 3/4 through, right through the nail. Still have a minorly impressive scar. Full sensitivity still there, luckily.
    Extra careful since then.

Good to hear you're recovering.
  5. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

Last January, I did a little maintenance on my drain gutter. When I was closing the ladder, I accidentally slammed it shut on my thumb.

Good Lord, that hurt! Over the course of the next few weeks, the thumb swelled up. Through a few weeks, the nail turned black, sort of disintegrated & fell off, leaving me with an uncovered thumb. NOTE: The skin under your nail is extremely sensitive! It took almost a full month for a new nail to slowly work its way up.

My thumb was finally healed & ready for use around mid-June (almost 6 months!) The timing was pretty much perfect because I had ordered a new F Bass which arrived on July 2. Further to that, I had a backordered Warwick Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6 which arrived a few weeks later.

I'm a member of the Lone Wolf Club, so I'm not playing with anyone, There wasn't really a musical urgency.
  6. Fender05

Fender05

When I was unloading all my stuff the day I moved to college, I NAILED my funny bone on my dad's pickup tailgate. My left pinky went numb, and my left ring finger went numb on the half of the finger next to my pinky...FOR 9 MONTHS. That was interesting learning how to play again.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

From a motorcycle accident a few years ago, my left pinky finger. (You probably don't want to see my knee.)

[​IMG]

I had to take a few months off playing. I use my pinky a lot. It healed a little crooked. It took me a while to get used to playing with it again. Let's be careful out there.

I try to wear gloves when I'm loading gear.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Can you hold a pick? I always play fingerstyle, but force myself to practice with a pick sometimes for that very reason. I'm thinking if I ever smash them, but can still hold a pick, I can at least play. If it's my fretting hand though, I'm SOL. I always keep one of those big, giant, triangular Fender picks in my gear bag just in case.
  9. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

I always wear a pair of unlined leather gloves when loading or unloading.
  10. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Broke my index finger on the fret hand once. 6 months before I could put any real pressure on it on the fret board and 12 to 13 months before it felt right again. Then there was loss of dexterity for a few more months.

I broke it at a Saw Mill trying to pick up metal conveyor chain pushers for plug ups and dropped one between another and my finger was in between em.

I passed on a few jobs there because some of the guys who'd worked it were running around with stubs. :eyebrow:
  11. ZenG

ZenG

That's how I ended up playing Bass guitar.

This summer I shredded the end of my middle left finger with an electric bush trimmer. Cut the end of my finger down to the bone.

Prior to that I played keyboard and 6 string electric guitar.

After it healed up (thankfully pretty good) I couldn't play the 6 string anymore. (hurt too much)
    Can still play keyboard.

Traded the 6 string in for a bass guitar (which does not hurt to play).