1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Knavery, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

For those that like the Pumpkins and can get passed Corgan's ego, this is a VERY good album. This reminds me of the Gish and Siamese Dream days. It's not exactly geared specifically for bass players. It's just great rock for those that were into the 90s era. :)

2. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I bought this on Amazon for $3 bucks... haven't listened to it yet though

3. Mykk

Mykk

I was a huge Pumpkinhead. Siamese Dream fueled my youth. I've learned Gish forwards and backwards...They started losing me around Adore but it was still a great concert.

My main bass is a black & maple Jazz like D'Arcys.

Oceania didn't do much for me. It has hints of 90's SP, but as soon as it grasps that 'sound' with the big muff and phaser it loses it almost as quickly. IMO, a big part of what gave the pumpkins their sound back in the day was the intense guitar work. Super impressive solo's with soulful guitar tones, feedback...etc. I don't hear any of that on the new album. Also, I miss Jimmy.

Forgive me for inflicting negativity right off the bat for the album. I just have big expectations for Mr.Corgan and his reincarnation.

4. Knavery

Knavery Supporting Member

No problem. I think a lot of it is nostalgia. That's why a lot of true fans may not think the same about the new album. I take it for what it's worth--an album released in 2012 compared to other albums released in 2012.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaywa

jaywa

Corgan recorded the bass on all the Pumpkins albums, right? The various bassists credited in the band were for live purposes only.

At least that's what I've been told.

7. Mykk

Mykk

I've heard that as well, for the exception of this album. Nicole spoke constantly about recording her own tracks while it was in the works.

That is a very good point.

8. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

The bass work is nice on this one - a bit buried, but listening back on a nice system helps bring it out. Not sure if Billy did the basslines though.

It's grown on me. The synth/keys are a bit cheesy.

9. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Siamese Dream was all Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, and I've read that in a few places. He said that in the end it was the fastest way to achieve the end result and the others were OK with it.

Gish and Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness I do believe were full band efforts.

I see progress from Zeitegeist to Oceania. I listened to him on the Howard Stern show and decided that his head and his heart were in the right place and I bought Oceania based on the tracks they played and Billy's thoughts on music.

What's most exciting is that I feel like he has not come anywhere close to being finished with writing and putting out music and I think the best is out there to come. He doesn't stand pat but he considers what people liked about the past and encorporates it into his future vision. He's going to figure it out and I think he'll get there.

Oceania has glimpses of that.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    I've been enjoying this album since it came out. Is this material getting any radio play?

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Go Team Sea Slug!! Supporting Member

Media:
    I love it too...I can't say I've heard any radio play but it's gotten plenty of buzz in the circles I run in ;)

12. bassinplace

bassinplace

+100. Billy Corgan + Jimmy Chamberlain = Smashing Pumpkins, imo. Take away either one and you have some other project.

13. Mykk

Mykk

A couple of times around Los Angeles I've run into Nicole, the current bassist. (I think we live in the same neighborhood, keep seeing her at my favorite restaurants and she plays the small clubs near my apartment). She is very sweet and doesn't mind taking a minute to talk, I've seen a couple of her other projects also. She's a solid player.

For some reason I keep getting sucked back into Gossamer, it's a fun drop D jam to play along with. The 30 minute version on youtube can be taxing, but its still cool.