Smelly case and bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BullHorn, Apr 12, 2014.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Hey dudes, I just traded my Stingray4 form a Stingray5. I didn't notice the smell at first but after a few hours playing it, it becomes very prominent. I can't really describe it, I don't know what it is. It's a bit sweet, kind of like an old-man's perfume.

I let the case dry in the sun for 3 days, that didn't help. Then I spilled a lot of baking soda in the case and closed it for a day - at first it seemed to help but 2 days later the smell is back. I fear I won't be able to get rid of the smell...
    The bass doesn't smell after I used some Dr. Duck's Axe Wax on it. I don't know what is in that stuff but it has a very light and not-disgusting smell that disappears after a day or two.

Any other ideas?

[​IMG]

Man this dude was nasty. I'm waiting for some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil and Wax to arrive but I can't get my hands on Murphy Soap Oil... Hopefully lemon oil with a toothbrush/steel-wool will be enough to clean the neck and fretboard.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Have You tried ozone treatment?

The description of the smell sounds just like the "Gibson Case Smell".
    You know, the pink plush interior of stench ;).

If someone really knows how to get rid of that smell without just masking it with another, You'll be rich I believe.
    My Flying-V and Firebird cases still smell, after a few decades...

Regards
    Sam

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

I wouldn't mind the smell if it didn't make the bass stink!

I don't think it's an original Musicman case, I think it's an 'SKB' or somesuch.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm interested in a solution to this too. I have a case I've had to store on my balcony for years, the plush won't stop stinking, and quite strongly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

IIRC SKB used that same faux fur material back in the day, and it reeks.

The smell comes from the material itself, so short of re-upholstering the case, nothing much to do if it really is what I think it is.

In hot climate countries like Israel, every car cleaning shop probably has an ozone generator or a two to take care of the "accidents", so that would still be my first choice.
    Should not set You back more than 20€ or so.
    OTOH anything that produces a spark, turns oxygen into ozone, so DIY possibilities are endless really :).
    Safety first though...

Regards
    Sam

7. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Pretty standard size bass case- should be able to replace for $50 used.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

This product has received some good reviews: https://www.nokout.com/home.php

Here are some other products referred to in previous threads:
    What Odor
    Nature's Miracle
    Atmosclear
    OdoBan

9. BullHorn

BullHorn

I think my best bet right now is to wait till I'm 100% decided to keep the bass (It has some really old strings that the previous owner boiled... It sounds OK but I noticed a sort of phasing/blooming when I'm playing longer notes. If a new set of strings fixes it, I'll keep the bass) - and then I'll contact the previous owner and ask him to trade the case back...

If that fails... I won't be able to get a different case for $50. For that price I could only maybe buy a cheap gigbag here.

10. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Where ever You live that may be so, but we at least up here in north are in the same boat as the OP.

Good, reliable cases are expensive, and no-one wants to part with theirs (me included ;)).

Regards
    Sam

11. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Sorry for your economic situation.
    I guess there is a benefit to living in the heart of Evil- I get to buy cheap gear! :)

12. BullHorn

BullHorn

I wanted to upgrade on my continuous and endless misfortune.

Today I contacted the person I traded, explained to him the situation thoroughly and he basically told me to **** off. He was also recommending me methods that he used, which indicates that he knew about this issue, it bothered him too, and he didn't even mention it when we did the trade.

I hate the 2nd hand market. I knew I should have just sold it here for ~1500USD and used the money to buy a better and cheaper bass once I flew to USA for work. :(

By the way the baking soda thing worked but the smell came back a day later...

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  13. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

I would try some Febreeze for the case. It might help.

As for the instrument? I think the lemon oil is your best bet for the fingerboard and the neck.

14. BullHorn

BullHorn

The case is almost 15 years old and still smelling. I don't think febreeze or anything else is going to solve this problem.

A fire, maybe.

I'm giving the case it's 2nd baking soda treatment...

[​IMG]

15. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

My Stingray 5 and it's case are at least 13 years old, and it smells just fine. Sounds like the previous owner of your Stingray was was just the wrong kind of funky.

16. BullHorn

BullHorn

I don't know what cases came with Stingrays back in the day but what I do know is that this is an SKB case. It might not be the original case that came with the bass.

17. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    There have a bunch of threads over the years about how to get bad funk out of cases.

I would think Fabreeze might help.

Anyway, if all the other methods fail, I was thinking: maybe you could talk a dry cleaning shop into blasting it with their stuff.
    I'll bet That would fix it.

18. DblG

DblG

I'd keep w/ the baking soda. Maybe dryer sheets? Leave it open for days & days?

Edit: Forgot to add, I think I tried baby powder in place of the baking soda too when I had the same issue.

19. BullHorn

BullHorn

Dryer sheets is the reply I got when I emailed SKB today. I never use those before. What am I supposed to do with them? Wipe them all over the interior like a baby-wipe? Or just let it over-stink the current stench?

20. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Wipe it.

21. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Dryer sheets aren't wet. If you don't use them in your clothes dryer, I would cover the entire interior surface of the case with as many sheets as needed to cover everything.