1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Bert Slide, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I just started touring with a new roots country act and was stoked to find out that the venue we are playing in Memphis tomorrow night is a smoking establishment. Wow what a breath of fresh air! It will be like being back in America again. I love the smoky barrooms and honkytonks and their contribution to so much of the great music and culture of Americana.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

A breath of fresh air... ironic!

I dont see whats so wrong with taking the smoke outdoors, though.

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Smokey bars and honkytonks didnt contribute anything to music. Back in the day, almost everyone smoked, and anytime/anywhere because they were completely ignorant of the health risks. Im so glad just about all the places you gig these days wont allow it.

4. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

+1 I don't need any stinky gear

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

+1.

I hated all my gear smelling like smoke when I got it home. Blecch.

7. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I dunno. I'm convinced that at least a small part of the mojo in old guitars comes from being cured in smoky bars for decades. Cig burn above nut? That baby was a player!

8. MatticusMania

So can we falsify that mojo by hanging our basses in the meat smoker?

9. Grateful

Grateful Supporting Member

Mmmm. Meat bass....

10. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

I haven't done the research but if it will make an ugly new shiny white maple neck turn that beautiful golden brown aged color I just might try it.

I hope they allow cigars. Would love to get some pics of me playing my DB on stage with a big stogie! :D

11. esa372

esa372 Supporting Member

Maybe this will attatch to the relic'ing fad... "It looks totally neglected and abused, and it smells like a dank and smokey bar!"

:help:

12. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Media:
    I would pay good money for a bacon flavoured P bass

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    +1

I won't take a gig if people are allowed to smoke indoors. If they want to pollute their lungs, that's their business but I don't want to be around it. I equate it to forcing alcohol down the throat of someone who doesn't drink.

14. MatticusMania

Maybe experiment on a beater bass, first. Just in case.

While Im all for smoke-free bars, yes, that picture would be sweet.

I may have just started a new relic'ing trend. Make sure you guys are using hickory, and not applewood. Everyone knows the most mojo comes from hickory smoke.

15. jphovercraft

jphovercraft

That's a sig! LOL!

16. Auguste

Auguste

I agree

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

As a non-smoker, I like playing non-smoking establishments. As a musician, I'm not a fan. When certain clubs went non-smoking here, the crowds definitely fell off.

I live in a place where it gets cold during the winters; it may be different in a place where you don't freeze your ass outside off certain times during the year.

18. MatticusMania

Those venue/bar owners should start thinking in terms of enclosed/roofed smoking patios and heaters.

19. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

Even in Summer it causes a fragmenting effect in the bar. Since smoking bans came around I notice that many bars have added bars outside on the deck and even maybe a fool on a stool or two. They are smart to do this of course because a good percentage of the clientele are in the smoking at any one time. I understand the aversion to smoke so many have and I started this thread in jest really but I think smoking bans have affected the gigs in more ways than just lowering numbers.

20. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

AHEM.......WHO gave you the inspiration with the phrase "cured in smoky barrooms?

I expect at least a small royalty if this pans out.

Oh and I'll definitely post a cigar pic if I can.

21. pedro

pedro

LMAO!!

To be honest with you even though I'm not a smoker, I found the change to 'no-smoking' few years ago somewhat off putting. The bars became too Disney-like. I've gotten used to it but I do know what you mean.