Smoking a brisket

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by sandmangeck, Sep 15, 2013.

1. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

I've picked up a 10 lb brisket. Cut to perfection. It will be my first time smoking it. Any suggestions or tips? I'll post play by play pics.
  2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I'm no expert, but my FB friends who post their results usually smoke for at least 16-18 hours, sometimes a whole day.
  3. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

Briskets go low and slow. Don't try to rush it.
  4. metalhead398

metalhead398

+about 3. Any shorter and it won't have the tenderness and flavor you're after.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I'm not an expert but I've done this a few times in the backyard smoker. 8-10 hours of low heat, to the side of the burning coals, not directly on top. Very minimal checking, don't want to let the heat out. Fatty side up to drip on the rest of it as it cooks. Soak those wood chips in water and don't add too many or too often. I only add chips to the burn 2 or 3 times during the whole time. I also like a dry rub before I lay my business down. Brisket BBQ is a religion around here in Texas and there are lots of people way better than I am but those are the basics as I understand them and I've had good results. A guy I know finishes it up in the oven for the last hour with some water in the drip pan, says it takes it to the pure juiciness heaven but I haven't tried it.
  7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

Ten pounds is a bit large for a brisket, a little larger than most people smoke. They usually use smaller cuts. First, I should mention that I watch lots of shows on the tube about barbecuing and do it myself a lot too so here is a common method.

First, slather the meat with mustard - a pretty good coating. Then rub it thoroughly with your rub of choice and let it sit for a few hours or even over night. When you are ready to start cooking, fire your smoker up to about 250 degrees. Some people go a bit higher but 250 is common. Then put the meat in your smoker. Let it get a heavy load of smoke for probably four hours, possibly five since it's big. With smaller cuts people often go three.

At this point you have a choice to make because methods vary. Lots of people will wrap the meat in foil and let it continue cooking because a common belief is that meat can only take so much smoke and begins to dry out after a while. Anyway, wrapped or not, the meat needs to continue cooking for probably a total of ten hours and possibly twelve, again because of its size. If you are going to wrap it then you can continue the cooking in an oven. Some people will spread a cube of butter over the meat prior to wrapping to add flavor. This can work well.

This is a common method and one used by contest winners. I have used it too with very good results. It's hard to be definitive about this because there are lots of variables. Key things are you want to cook it long enough so it is not chewy but not so long that it falls apart and tastes like a pot roast. You also want to retain the smokey taste that you have worked so long to acquire.

Good luck with it !
  8. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Well, let's see it.
  9. bassinplace

bassinplace

no pics, no brisket.
  10. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

What type of smoker?

;-/ Paul
  11. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

I'm smoking it Late Friday night/Early Saturday morning.

I've got a large Big Green Egg.
  12. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire Supporting Member

I've used this recipe at the lake for a party, from BBQ U and Primal Grill guy Steven Raichlen. Adjust for size as necessary, this recipe is for 5 to 6 lbs.

For the brisket and rub:

1 trimmed brisket (5 to 6 pounds) with a layer of fat and least 1/4-inch thick
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 tablespoon coarse (kosher or sea) salt
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
    1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    8 slices of bacon

Mop sauce:

1 cup distilled white vinegar
    1 cup beer
    1 tablespoon garlic salt
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon black pepper

Other Items Needed:
    6 cups hickory or oak wood chips or chunks, soaked for 1 hour in cold water
    or beer to cover, then drained
    Heavy-duty aluminum foil (optional)

Directions:
    Rinse the brisket under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels. Combine all the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl and stir to mix. Rub onto the brisket on all sides. Drape with the bacon. If you have the time, let the brisket stand in the refrigerator, covered, for 4 to 6 hours. Or, smoke the brisket right away.

Combine the mop sauce ingredients in a nonreactive bowl and stir until the salt and brown sugar are dissolved.

Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to low. If using a gas grill, place all the wood chips in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce the heat to low.

When ready to cook, if using a charcoal grill, toss 1 cup wood chips on the coals. Place the brisket, fat-side up, in an aluminum foil pan and place in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat, and cover the grill. Grill until the brisket is tender, about 6 to 8 hours (the cooking time will depend on the size of the brisket and the heat of the grill). Baste or mop the brisket with the mop sauce once an hour for the first 4 hours. If using a charcoal grill, youll need to add 12 fresh coals and 1/2 cup of wood chips per side every hour.

If desired, wrap the brisket in heavy-duty aluminum foil for the last 1-1/2 to 2 hours of cooking time to prevent it from drying out.

To test for doneness, use an instant-read meat thermometer; the internal temperature should be about 190 degrees F.

Transfer the brisket to a cutting board and let rest for 10 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain, using an electric knife or sharp carving knife. Transfer the meat to plates or a platter and pour the pan juices on top.

Several beers later it came out perfect, but I didn't get much. Wasn't all that hungry for some reason, but all my friends seemed to like it, no leftovers.
  13. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

They are very nice. My neighbor has one. They are well insulated and hold temp well. I would try 200/225 for about 14/16 hours. It should have a nice "smoke ring" . Trial and error when you first try. It may not be as tender as you would want but the taste will be great. I have a water smoker that is not insulated. I have to pick and choose according to weather conditions. Good luck, let us know how you do. There are some good recommendations here. YMMV

;-/ Paul
  14. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Keep the heat between 225-250, low and slow. after you get your smoke penetration (the first couple hours, refresh your chips or wood after an hour) wrap well in foil. And leave the duration. I alway figure 1.5 hours per pound then add a few more hours for good effect. Fat cap on the TOP, and drip pan underneath with some water in it.
  15. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Briskets can be smoked in 12-14 hours.

I keep the smoker at 225 degrees the entire time and cook the brisket to an internal temperature of 195. Let rest for about an hour before you eat it. That's probably the hardest part of the whole operation.

I use hardwood lump charcoal (preferably 100% mesquite) and a blend of about 2/3 hickory and 1/3 apple wood for the smoke chips.

Use all of the smoke chips within the first three hours. After that the smoke will no longer flavor the meat.

Good luck.

Edit: just read the previous post. I never wrap my briskets. For pork shoulders and ribs it really helps, but for brisket I feel like its unnecessary. IMO and YMMV of course.
  16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Let it rest a half hour or more before you slice the finished product. Thinly sliced hot brisket dries out as you watch. Give it some time to reacclimate and reabsorb those wonderful juices.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Light one end. Suck on the other?
  18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The biggest danger is getting it too dry. I'd wrap in foil at about the half-way point in cooking it, just to keep it moist...but I admit I'm still trying to find a way to keep brisket from drying out while smoking it.l
  19. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

I read about a Travis method. Essentially it's braising and smoking a brisket at the same time.
  20. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Here are a few ways to cook brisket. Its for a Weber bullet cooker, the same principles apply to the egg.

I done both overnight and high-heat cooks and both come out excellent.
  21. hypapanuse

hypapanuse Banned

I would use double w-i-d-e's. Stick several together and have at it!

;-/ Paul