Smooth Jazz and film scores?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bens, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Bens

Bens

I've got a question.

Are the rhythmic/melodic styles of the following medeivalish tracks rooted in Smooth Jazz?

Also I have a related question about the "genre", if it has very little to do with traditional Jazz what were its more substantial inspirations? I hear people say old songs like Autumn Leaves weren't really meant to be in the core style of Jazz, but it was the later compilers that decided to incorporate it in the stock Jazz examples.

Again, I'm mostly focusing on their identifiable and phrasing styles here. The timed pauses at target notes, and the ebb and flow effects that permeate throughout the entire melodies.

Thank you.

2. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

Those pieces are related to 19th century/early 20th century European classical music. Not related to jazz at all.

Mahler, Wagner, Vaughn Williams, Elgar
    Also Hans Zimmer

3. Bens

Bens

What gives them their flowing, driving nature? The vast, vast majority of earlier dance music (e.g. English country dances, Baroque suites, Classical minuets...) do not have the rolling, forward-tending feel.

Actually you are right about the resemblance with some late Romantic dance music, the Kalendar Prince theme of Rimsky-Korsakov and the Pavan and Sicilienne by Faure do sound like these.

Is there a structural/theoretical vocabulary that can describe this characteristic?

Thanks.

4. Bens

Bens

????

What about the question at hand?

5. Register to disable this ad