Smoother tone without flat

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by friedtransistor, Dec 10, 2013.

1. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

I am trying to get a warmer tone out of my bass without switching to flatwound strings. I still want to be able to get full tone when opened up, though. Here's what I've got so far:
    Ibanez (I think it's a gsr100mb, not sure. Says GIO Ibanez Soungear on the headstock, and has only two knobs.)
    P90 split coil pickup(?)
    A250K tone pot with 2 0.1u caps parallel going to ground (0.2u equiv.)
    Lug 1 to white wire from pickup, lug 2 to caps.
    B250K volume pot, lug 1 to white pickup wire/lug 1 of tone pot.
    Lug 2 to output jack tip.
    Lug 3 to ground.
    Black pickup wire to ground.
    Wire from bridge to ground.
    Output jack sleeve is ground.

Is there anything I could do to increase warmth with the tone pot clockwise while retaining full clarity counterclockwise? Oh, and what could I change to get rid of the buzzing with the tone ccw? It stops whenever I touch any part of ground or the strings. Really annoying to sound like a powerplant whenever I take my hands off the strings.

Btw, I can't change the settings on my amp without it sounding like a pile of dead •^*+. Don't want to add bass, just cut treble. Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'm using five month old prosteels. Very clanky stuff. I likes, just not 24/7. Only 23/7.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The buzzing is a shielding issue, give the bass a proper shielding job and the buzz will stop.

I cannot help with your other inquiries, sorry. I personally had a hard time getting any tones I like out of a Gio, but that is just my preference.

3. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

How do I go about shielding? Just glue a sheet of aluminum foil to the cover and run a ground wire to it?

You have a gio, too? Two knobs? I am dying to find out more about my bass since I don't have the SN sticker (dumb to use a sticker, but oh well), and I have only found two results on google about it. One is just a picture of it, and the other have has a fuzzy picture and a vague description of it. I saw my bass in a Guitar Center catalogue a few weeks ago, and it said it was a gsr90 p bass. A lengthy google search came up with nothing, as if that model doesn't even exist.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

You want a warmer tone, and you're playing ProSteels? That's easy - string change. You don't have to go all the way to flats; there's a whole continuum of tone available through string selection. Standard nickel roundwounds will add a bit of warmth while maintaining most of the sizzle. D'Addario XLs are cheap, readily available, pretty consistent, and have a good middle-of-the-road tone. Or you might try Thomastik Jazz Rounds for something a bit earthier. Others will have lots of other suggestions for strings as well; hang out in the Strings forum a bit, or do a quick search.

7. friedtransistor

friedtransistor

Thank you, but I did mention without flats. I hardly want a warm tone, so I can't justify the cost of flats, plus since I play in church, I can't just change my strings on a whim. Some songs needs the piano-like tones, but a few are more jazzy sounding (mix-wise). I want to just be able to turn my tone knob to switch through the entire range, and still retain subtle changes. Until I get enough money to make my 10-band eq, I was hoping some simple wiring trick would work for now.

edit:
    Thomastik Flats?! You crazy? I could hardly afford prosteels at $25! Imo no strings should ever cost more than $15, let alone $70 for a one-trick pony.

edit:
    Oops, sorry, you said rounds. Nvm mind then. But what I said still holds true.