1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Smoothing Mahogany

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sricks3, Feb 22, 2014.

1. sricks3

sricks3

Howdy TalkBass!

I'm using a couple of pieces of mahogany from Warmoth to build the wings of a neck-thru project (build thread to come later :D). They were nice enough to sell it to me without joining the two pieces even though that's not an option on their website, but I've got a quick question.

The piece for the lower wing came with a sizeable section of hairy/splintery surface area. It doesn't look to me like this is a case of the grain changing directions, but in any case, what's the best way to smooth this out without taking off a ton of wood? Should I plane, sand, rasp (thinking probably not rasp), or something else? Also, should I go ahead and smooth the whole area, or should I wait until I've cut out the basic shape and just smooth the part I'm using?

As alwasy, your help and input is much appreciated.

Here's a picture for reference (sorry for the cellphone pic quality):
    [​IMG]
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

A wide belt, or drum sander would be the best option. That lumber is fine, its just rough cut and has not been machined yet. Take it to a cabinet shop, they will probably run it through their sander for a very minimal fee.
  3. sricks3

sricks3

Thanks for the quick response!

Yeah, I knew the wood was perfectly usable; I just wasn't sure what the best way would be to smooth it out. Mostly, I didn't know if trying to sand something like that would just lead to more splintering and hairiness. I'm not used to working woods this soft/porous.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

Mahogany isn't bad to work with at all really. I definitely wouldn't call it soft.
  5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Wide belt sander unless you know of someone who has a planer and jointer with carbide inserts and they're fresh. Using a hand plane with alternating grain direction can be tricky and teh iron would need to be extremely sharp. It might be best to use a low angle plane for that if you decide to use hand tools. If it still wants to be hairy, you can give it a light coat of lacquer or shellac beforehand.

If you want to sand it manually, make a wide, totally flat base for using full sheets of paper, working your way from 80 grit to 220.
  6. LightGroove

LightGroove

If thats your outline i see it doesnt look like much work sanding. Strange warmoth shipped rough lumber. Did you try sourcing it locally? Your in a nice location for lumber distributors..may save some coin in the future
  7. mrz2u

mrz2u

what are your three dimensions? If too wide for a planer then how about a router/planer table jig-a-ma-bob...

[​IMG]
  8. sricks3

sricks3

Thanks for all of the input from everyone. I tried just doing a little rough sanding in the corner with some 80 grit to see how it would go. I ended up doing that over the whole area. It's still not perfect, but it's close enough to move on to the bandsaw since I'll be giving it a little round-over and sanding again anyway.

LightGroove: It's not my outline. It was on there when it arrived from Warmoth.

mrz2u: I've been considering getting a planer, but now I might have to look into a jig like that before pulling the trigger. Thanks for the idea!