Snapped headstock / claiming insurance

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rhythmbananist, Jan 27, 2014.

1. rhythmbananist

rhythmbananist

A bass I own was recently damaged when a runner tried to squeeze her buggy (with our gear) through footpath blockades - my headstock was in the wrong place at the wrong time and (bam!) broke right off. :eek:
    I'm currently filling out an insurance claim and will get a repair quote soon, but I thought I'd consult the experts here at talkbass first.

Anyone know the value of a Hondo All-star H802?
    How about the price of replacing a broken headstock on one?
    Would damage like this depreciate it's overall value and how would I go about getting reimbursed for something like that?

Thanks in advance if you have any advice to share.

cheers! :)
  2. truckin88

truckin88 Supporting Member

what insurance?
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Sorry, cannot give you a price quote, supporting members only; search ebay and TB classifieds for a price.

The only person I knew who has a headstock repaired had it done for around $300, it was on a Les Paul Custom. Canadians pay more for human labour, your rates might be cheaper.

The value is greatly diminished with this type of repair, you should take it to a pro first to ensure you actually can repair the unit. Some headstock cracks are fatal from what I have heard.
  4. Deathblade Eric

Deathblade Eric

Quite frankly... probably not a lot. After quite a bit of searching I found this completed listing on Ebay. As you can see, the asking price was pretty low & it didn't sell. Fact is, Hondo isn't a particularly collectible brand. Here in the UK most players don't have fond memories of them - even in the 80s they had a rep as being **very** budget beginners instruments, although they did produce **some** excellent models.

If that Ebay asking price is anywhere near right, at least two to four times what the bass is worth. I found another Ebay listing for a neck, & that sold for the princely sum of $31.

Depreciation isn't really the issue (see above), so I'd reckon your best bet would be to get a written quote/estimate for the repair and a valuation of sorts from a luthier & go from there. Explain that the valuation would be for an insurance claim & you might get a result.

Unless it has extreme sentimental value, I'd doubt it would be worth repairing tbh. However, the fact remains that someone else has trashed your instrument & ought to be held accountable, so if you can get a moderate 3-figure valuation in writing, that might get you a replacement in the SX or Squier bracket. It might also be worth having a close look at the pickup (underneath)... Hondo (& other confectioners of Far-Eastern Plywood) had a habit of putting DiMarzios in there, & they can fetch a few bob.

Sorry to be a downer, but there yer go.

Pete.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Better get yourself a new bass. Hondos are not worth repairing IMO.
  7. rhythmbananist

rhythmbananist

The claim is through the city council who staged the event, so I'm not too sure about the insurance specifics.

Yeah, that's what I imagined. It was good for what it was though. I play an old fender P and the Hondo served me well as an inexpensive "back-up" I could cart around in case of emergencies (string-breaking, etc). Thanks for taking the time to find that link.

Not a downer at all. Great advice and insight. I'll have a close look at those pickups.

Thanks everyone.
    I'll let you know how things turn out.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Gah, tell them repair is not an option for a reliably working result. Replacement is required. The city can easily pop $500.00 out of their operating budget to cover you. Pick out a new bass around that amount take the info to them along with a letter from a good guitar tech telling them that a repair will not return it to pre accident condition. This is not a broken window, it is an instrument.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Yeppers, cracked headstock repair around $200~$300, severed head repair $500 and up.

Get a repair quote and tell them to pay you directly, then go buy a new backup bass.

FWIW, Hondo basses, at least around here have practically no resale value. A local store sells (or did last time I was in there), a beginner bass outfit with a Hondo and some kind of little amp, strap, and stand for $100.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Don't do this. No judge would hold that up in court and your just going to create headaches asking for more than you deserve. They owe you an old bass, not a new one. You are not out a new bass. You are out what it would reasonably cost to buy that instrument today, certainly nowhere near $500.
  11. eb2

eb2

I'm going to agree with the consensus - a Hondo is not worth much. The labor would buy you another used one, maybe two of them. That is not to slam them at all. They were decent low buck basses and aside from low grade set up and finish they were actually playable. Reality is they aren't valuable used.

Having gone through an insurance claim on a damaged instrument I would suggest getting a letter from a local shop saying what repair costs would be, then submit it. That may be more than replacement cost but that's their liability. If they ask for an appraised value most shops will give a replacement cost for a similar instrument, like a Squier or Ibanez low end. Then you can replace it with a working instrument. If they give you grief ( they won't really) show them what a 60's Jazz goes for. They were available used in the early 70's for $200-300.

Good luck.
  12. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

What was the event? Was there a contract?

Riis
  13. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

It's not about the value of the bass, it's the cost of repair that keeps it legal.

And what judge (outside of small claims court) would ever hear a dispute for $500 or less, and what city is going to be worried about less than $500 if that is the legit cost to repair the item in question?

It's not like cars where the item is totaled and current market value is paid. There is no industry standard current market value for a less than collectable musical instrument so it's about making the damaged item whole again.

OP got lucky and had a low line bass get mangled on someone else's dime and stands to wind up with a better beater than he had. Why not let them enjoy their stroke of good fortune.
  14. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

^This is what I'm saying. The city won't even run a repair through insurance. If it was a $5000 bass the cost to repair a neck is the same as a $100 bass. The city will just pay it from their operating budget.

What do you think diabolous, that the city insurance has a $100 deductible? More like $5000.00 minimum.

What's more there is the loss of potential to earn supplementary income. The city will be happy to be off the hook for $500.