1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Snark pedal tuner - quick review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by richntiff, Oct 29, 2012.

1. richntiff

richntiff

Hey all - pretty new to TB, posted a few here an there. I just wanted to give a quick review of a newer pedal tuner that is out there. This is my first pedal tuner, but I've had a chance to mess with several, including the GFS tuner, some that are built into multi-effects pedals, etc. Started shopping for my own after decided I really need one! I found the Snark brand - same company that makes the clip-on headstock tuners. I got a screaming deal on a -well- popular online auction site. Tuner was $34.95 shipped, with a Planet Waves AC adaptor, a 6" Fender branded effects connector cable, a small bag of Planet Waves picks, and even a battery :bassist:

$35, I wasn't expecting much - but wow, I really like this tuner! It's very solidly made - heavy, almost. Nice little rubber pads so it doesn't slide around on the floor. The battery is held inside by a nice little friction-fit holder thingy. It has one mode only - click the button you are muted an in tuning mode - I realize some might not like that limited functionality, but I'm a pretty simple guy so I like it. Absolutely DEAD QUIET - not a peep of hiss or pop. It grabbed my notes VERY quickly and was stable, not jumping around like other tuners I've tried. Bright display - I really like it. Hopefully it will turn out to be durable - but it sure feels like it should be.

Anyways - hope that helps if anyone is tuner shopping!!
  2. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Got the same package. Quite a deal.

This thing is a tank, a true "Stomp Box" I have no problem hitting this one hard. Very sturdy. The display is very good, it's big and readable and quite responsive. I like that it is chromatic, as I tune one of my basses to D# to play early U2.

It's only the first day, but do far, it's a winner.
  3. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

Does this track as fast as a TC Polytuner? Sounds interesting.
  4. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Tracks very fast. Of course, I'm comparing it to an Arion Stage Tuner that I bought in the late 80's... It blows the Arion away, but most of today's tuner probably do too. For the price, plus the power supply, high quality 9v battery and Fender patch cord... well worth the money.
  5. erigod23

erigod23

It's great! Why waste pedalboard real estate on a tuner?
  6. mowburger

mowburger

If it tracks as well as the clip-on Snark, I want one. My METAL band DARCADE tunes to A=432hz and the Snark is one of only a couple pedal tuners that will let us calibrate our tuning to this freq.

Clip-ons are ok, but hard to use in a noisy situation.

The price don't hurt this tuner either!
  7. bassmanbigs

bassmanbigs

I just bought one for my 2nd smaller pedal board and this thing is great. I have a Korg Pitchblack on my main rig and apart from the lack of features the Snark has, they are both great tuners. The only thing im a little iffy on right now is that when you turn on the pedal the display is so bright that it lights up all the areas of the display at once. making it hard at first to see clearly what is being lit and what is not. (I hope that makes sense) Before i purchased it i made sure it would register the low "B" on a 5 string. it came through super clear even at really low levels.

Overall its a steal and its definitely worth a buy!