1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Snark-Talk

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ebick, Sep 5, 2013.

1. ebick

ebick

I got three of-em....two SN1's and one SN-8.

It picks up the A, D, and G fine, but it really seems to have trouble picking up the low E. It gets it on the 12th ok, but.....

Anyone else have an issue with this?
  2. bjabass

bjabass

Yep....had that problem until it quit altogether.
  3. Jbassrockboy

Jbassrockboy

No , mine appears to be good.

I just picked one up last week and clips on my headstock and I am actually liking it

So easy to use. S2

Rossa
  4. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Yes. Try tuning with harmonics. It picks them up just fine.
  5. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

All my snarks hate low E's and keeping the bottom rubber pad of the clip glued on.
  6. bloobass

bloobass

I've found that you may be able to find a "sweet spot" on the headstock where it will pick up all the strings better. Except the Low B...I always have to use the harmonic for that.
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yeah, just switch it around on the headstock a few different places... and give it a second to "find" that low E.

Snarks are GREAT! I started bringing one to an open mic night in town, and that little gadget would get passed around continuously. And then, usually get packed up still attached to the headstock of somebody ELSE'S guitar!

Must have lost a half-dozen that way.
  8. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

I almost always tune to drop D so I always have an issue with the E string. I just use the 12th harmonic and I never have an issue.
  9. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I wonder if leaving them on the headstock 24x7 weakens the spring and causes them to not pick up as well as brand-new.

I started taking mine off when not in use.
  10. Back2Bass

Back2Bass

Mine did the same thing, no low E and if I wanted to go to drop D forget about it. I changed to the BOSS TU-2 and no more problems. Quick and easy in a show setting.
  11. Lownote38

Lownote38

I use the chromatic version and make sure the microphone in it is turned off. It picks up a low B just fine without using a harmonic. I clip it right on the end of the headstock, and pluck the string (while muting the others) close to the neck for maximum vibration. I'm not sure which model I have, but it's black and sorta rubbery feeling. It was $19.99 and changing the battery is easy! They carry them at my local grocery store!
  12. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Yeah, I was less than impressed with my Snark - I had one of the red ones, and ended up giving it away... I'll stick to pedals, racked tuners, or the Pitchjack...

- georgestrings
  13. rtslinger

rtslinger

Got an SN-8 works great every gig
  14. tanktones

tanktones Registered Musical Abuser Supporting Member

I have had red (original w/ no model #) for several years now and it never misses a beat, so to speak.
    Low E (and everything else) pops every time and repeats thru adjustments. One of my most favorite impulse buys. Don't go out jammin' w/o it/
  15. P Town

P Town Guest

I've got a red one, and a black one, (not sure of model #s), and they both work perfectly on most basses. I do have one instrument, (don't recall which, might be my short scale, or a guitar), where they will alternately display E, and some other note on the E string. I usually clip them next to the nut, not the extreme end of the head stock. I like the red one better. I think the black one is the tighter tuning model, with less display elements. My Am Dlx basses are very resonant, and the Snarks will read them just touching the bass in any way,without even being clipped on.
  16. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

I actually use it on my upright and have not had a problem at all and that's and octave lower
  17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

I've got the red one. Works fine, a little slow to pick up the low B.
  18. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Just had to add that it is way faster than my Sabine rack tuner.
    The Sabine needs perfect string isolation to pick up a note.
  19. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

The Snark I have works fine. But, when it has problems with the low E, I use harmonics and change the battery as soon as I can. It seems like the battery is the issue with the low E. Not a scientific statement at all, just what I noticed.
  20. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Lower than what?

It's no lower than a regular 4-string electric bass guitar.