So, after the first time my older brother picked up my Dad's bass ...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Garyth, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

Dad just looked at him and said: "It's a bass, not a lead guitar".
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    It struck me funny at the time, now it just makes sense.
  2. Desirsar

Desirsar

Your dad is Sting?
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

No, it sounds like he recognizes the difference in approach between a bass player and a guitar player.
  4. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I would have to ask, why did your Dad say that?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. remainthesame

remainthesame

My mom says the same thing whenever i play chords. :rolleyes:
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

When i first started my mom couldn't tell the difference between a bass and guitar. She called my bass a guitar for years (yes technically the term is bass guitar but that's not why she was saying that). It took some years. She claims to still not know right offhand what the bass is in a song.

Cool story bro time: You could say the opposite happened to me anyway. My brother had just begun to play the guitar, having always been the more musical one, i partly was jealous and would use his guitar a lot just trying to figure things out. Thing is, i soon was trying to pick up bass lines in song. In fact after a while i was basically using it as a bass so since my brother was doing guitar anyway, i got a bass. A few years later, my brother gave up on guitar (which i feel responsible for because i was often too interested in practicing on my own i think, we were still living together then) and i ended up with his guitar stuff which led me back to the guitar for a bit (though i never entirely stopped guitar either). I got too frustrated waiting for bands that played stuff i like so i figured if i was both a guitar player (albeit a passable one) and bassist i could basically write the whole of my songs. Which i do.

Also...my style on bass is very melodic, lots of G string (also, i do like chords), maybe because of the guitarist in me.
  8. Garyth

I was quite young when he said it and not into playing. All I saw/heard was my Dad putting him in his place on how he played it - so I thought it was funny. Hard to explain mental concept of interpretation, especially after all these years. Now, though, as I think back and recently becoming interested in music for myself I understand that in one line he made the point that a bass is an instrument of it's own and you need to play it as such.

**brief history of me - safe to ignore**
    I came from a family huge in music. I was the white sheep in a black sheep family. I went into electronics and computers having zero interest in music of any form, I did enjoy hearing them play (I didn't hate music :) ). Now I'm in my 50's and computers are work. The last thing I want to do when I get home is have to work on a broken computer.

A year ago I picked up a cheap fiddle and started making noise. Now I can make more then noise and enjoy trying to do more. Will I ever be real good/professional? doubtful, but I am having fun. I picked up a cheap squier guitar to learn basic chords so that I recognize them - I have no interest in playing guitar.

Recently I saw an ad for a bass guitar, essex. looked great, fender similar, so I picked it up - cheap. Now as I pluck on it, hear and feel then tones I realized this is something I can get into as well - something a guitar didn't do. As with the fiddle, I don't expect to be real good. I just want to have fun.

Summation on late in life realizations: lead guitar/bass guitar - not the name thing.

** ok, not so brief, sorry **
    note:I glossed over a lot of my thoughts, I didn't want to write a book.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

My dad ( now 73) taught me bass fundamentals when I was about 7 ( let's just say early-mid 70s). He was a bass player long before I was born.

To him, Les Claypool is very impressive, but he is NOT a bass player. lol
  10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Good idea - stomp any creativity or individuality of him while he's young! The world needs more drones. :rollno:
  11. hudpucker

hudpucker

Yes, he should conform and play like everyone else... :rolleyes:
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

No, the world needs more plickity, tappity, slappity, wankity lead bass players. Those guys are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO entertaining to watch. In fact, the rest of the band can just go home. We just want to watch you wank about for about four hours because it is awesome. Ready.....go! :eyebrow:
  13. Garyth

I don't know where you got that out of it. It has nothing to do with stifling creativity or technique. It has to do the basic role of a bass in a group setting. Nothing said about never allowing a bass a lead role or trying new things. My Dad never advocated not learning/doing new things - he promoted it.
  14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Is this really a thing? Are we not supposed to like slappers around here? I didn't get the memo.
  15. two fingers

Nope. Never said that. If you read that in my post you need to go back and read again. I play slap bass myself (as well as tapping, finger style, pick, and a host of other techniques). My post was a comment on long-winded wankery, not any particular style.
  16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Gotcha. I haven't had that 3rd cup of java yet this morning, so my comprehension skills aren't fully awake.

My mistake, carry on. :bassist:
  17. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So I think a bass is a guitar, but it's kind of lower, right? I mean, it used to have less strings, but that got confusing, because now sometimes it has more strings, but still, the point is for it to be lower, right? I mean, it used to mostly be bigger, but some of them are smaller, but it's definitely lower, right? I mean, unless the guitar player is doing some weird downtuning, and has the bass cranked up on his amp?
  18. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    It's so simple to boil everything down to either root 5th or full scale wanking. :rollno:
  19. two fingers

Uh...... didn't say that either. Did you guys learn to read from an internet course?
  20. kcole4001

kcole4001

21. mrjim123

mrjim123

It IS a bass, after all, NOT a lead guitar. :D