So Disapointed - Ampeg PN Series Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by pshep68, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pshep68

pshep68

I am SO disapointed ... Just did a sound check with my Ampeg 3 Pro & Ampeg PN 210 HLF & PN 115 HLF cabs and I am not impressed. I usually use an Eden 410 XLT, but am kinda sick lugging it around. I thought the lighter PN series would hit the spot. Not so! This is the first time that I have used them ... These cabs have GOT TO GO!

2. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Why did you buy them without trying them? And what made you get those sight unseen over another brands cabs that have lots of reviews?

3. pshep68

pshep68

I had a friend in California and I was able to get the cabs through him at a bit of discount and jumped at the chance ... and here I am.

4. tilehilder

tilehilder Supporting Member

The Ampeg 3 Pro may not have enough power to really push both those cabs at the same time.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeisdog

dukeisdog Supporting Member

Well so whats the problem with them? What were you expecting that they dont have?

7. pshep68

pshep68

It almost sound like I was over powering them ... then I turned down the bass & gain on my WTDI and on the 3 pro itself. Initially the gain on the WTDI was at 12:00 and the bass at 1:00 ... then I turned it back to 11:00 & 12:00 respectively ... On the 3 Pro the gain and bass were at 12:00 and I turned it back to 11:00, then 10:00. Didn't like the sound.

8. pshep68

pshep68

I was expecting them to sound alot fuller/bigger than they are. They sound thin.

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You using the same eq you were with your Eden and expecting the same sound through completely different speakers?

You in a generally bad sounding or unfamilair room?

How far is your stack from the walls?

They may indeed not work out for you in the end......just sayin' don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

10. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

I had these two cabs matched with a GK Fusion head. It was a good match, nothing special....Then, I sold everything and went on the Fender camp...Fender Super Bassman and Neo Pro 410.... Never been happier with my Tone!!!

There is just something missing with the Ampeg Pro Neo cabs, seems like no life comes out of them. They sounded good and handled all the power that I was pushing through. The Fender sounds so much better to my ears!!

11. Grabow

Grabow

I'm wih you psheps68, i spent 2 grand on the pn115 and pn 410, no warmth or punciness, just harshness, major disapointment

12. pshep68

pshep68

I think my first problem is the 210+15 combination. I'd rather 410's or 610's, etc. I was trying to convince myself (because of the light weight) that the cabs would work out.

Our band had gotten louder over the past year and the 3 pro has probably run it's course. It's not loud enough... but thats another discussion.

You are right about using the same eq & unfamiliar room though.

13. pshep68

pshep68

How many watts is the Fender Super Bassman? I know there is a 100W, but I've heard there is a 200W.

14. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

The Super Bassman is 300 watts of pure all tube tone glory my friend !
    I just had a rehearsal tonight and my bandmates comment on how good the tone is after each song we played! This has been happening since I changed my rig this past summer!

15. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

300w

16. pshep68

pshep68

Now on to my next order of business ... who wants to buy my Ampeg PN 210 HLF & PN 115 HLF cabs?

17. bassguppy

bassguppy Supporting Member

I've used a pair of the PN115's for nearly a year and have nothing but praise for them. I run both an SVT-7PRO and SVT-2PRO and they easily take the wattage and if EQ'd for it can shake the room. I'm not big on mixing cabs but whatever works for you. I'd possibly try another head but if you don't like them just return and give something else a try.

18. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

If you wanted to sell them you should not have started a thread saying how bad they are......

19. rodl2005

rodl2005

I'd try using just one cab, see how it sounds. If it still sounds poor to you, you'll know it ain't mixing the two that's the prob.

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

Yeah, after reading this thread, not too many........

Good luck! :cool:

21. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

Off-chance the cabinets are out of phase? Try the battery test to make sure...

That would account for thin bass.

=wr=