1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

so few racks?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krstko, Feb 12, 2013.

1. krstko

krstko

Hi
    There is lots of talking about effects on TB, but I got to ask: why is there so little talk about rack units? I think they are cheaper and way more portable than full pedalboards. So why is so little people using them?

2. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc

It's just a guess, but probably because controlling them while you're playing usually requires a large complicated midi foot controller that you have to program. Whereas with pedals, you just plug it in and step on it. It's much more plug-n-play.

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Cheaper? Really? If it's all budget rack gear compared to boutique pedals maybe.

Racks are also a bugger to transport IMO too compared to a pedal board, depending on size of course. A big unwieldy pedal board will more than likely translate into an even bigger and more unwieldy rack of refrigerator proportions.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Large and heavy. I definitely don't think a rack is more portable than a pedalboard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I use a lightweight Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 on a 12T speaker, total weight 36 pounds. For mo'power I add a Shuttle 2x10, weight 32 pounds.

Why would I want to pay for rack-mountable effects and then drag a rack unit that's as big as my combo amp around???? My pedalboard is in a padded nylon carry case and is lighter and easier to move around.

7. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

simple, line level vs instrument level, so mixing a rack unit with pedals gets to be a mess. Rack fx like to be in fx loop. I've tried and studied it and it's just more complicated than most want to deal with.

That said, there are advantages like parallel and reordering fx in patches, I just think the weakness in Dirt is the biggest limitation.

8. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

My 3-space rack with a 1500 watt power amp and a preamp is already as big and heavy as I want to lug around.

9. metaball

metaball

i have some rack gear, mostly old multi fx boxes. i prefer my pedals for guit & bass.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I use racks for PA. Pedals are more convenient with instruments.