SO FRUSTRATED!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbaxter26, Oct 16, 2013.

1. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    After miss after miss with my bass puchases, I am beyond frustrated. Only two of the last 8 purchases was I even remotely satisfied with the final set-up. And those two just weren't for me. How can I be sure...BEFORE ...I get the thing home it will set-up to my liking? Am I being to asinine? .012 relief and 3/32MAX action is all I ask for. HELP...UGH™!!!!! Do I have to spend over $500 to get what I want? That ain't happening. Good thing I am not a gigging bassist.
    THANKS FOR THE VENT PLATFORM.

2. rllefebv

rllefebv Supporting Member

Learn to do your own set ups... Once you do, not only will you be able to get everything to your liking, you can look past truly atrocious set ups and find some really good deals!

-robert

3. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    These are my own set ups. I just keep running into trouble basses or something.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

What have you bought that you're not happy with?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Two Affinity Jazzes. 3 MIM JAZZES. 2 VM Jazzes. 1 Squire P.

7. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Of these a $400 MIM and the $60 P, were the best. But, dang it...only the J can satisfy my tone taste.
    From here on out, all purchases will be at GC where I have 30 days. Tired of losing money.

8. El Raro

El Raro

You seem to want a very specific setup. Either you learn to set it up yourself, as mentioned, or take it into someone you trust to get it set up for you. Either way, you're just going to have to accept that the guitars simply won't arrive at your door to your specifications 100%.

Bear in mind you're also purchasing some very low-end production line basses made and sold cheap. You can't expect a $150 instrument to receive the same set-up treatment as, say, a $1,000+ custom instrument.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I only see one thing in common with all the basses you are not happy with. Perhaps you should try another brand?

10. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

It must be a Fender thing. :bag:

11. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

You could have spent the same amount of money or less that you spent on all those basses for one good one. Just sayin'.

12. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

+1.

13. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

what specifically is the problem? is the trussrod not getting straight enough? are you getting a lot of fretbuzz with it set at 3/32"? are you trying to get the trussrod set right away? are you making sure to give it time to settle between adjustments?

14. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    All great points, and well received. If I could find something that gives me that Jazz growl....I might consider non-Fender. I have tried a lot at every store I can find. And nothing satisfies like the Jazz. Just saying. The only other bass I have liked us the Ric...but we all knoe I can't afford that. Sorry that I sound whiney...just to tired for all this.

15. Jookbox

Jookbox Registered Drummer

I've literally set up all of those basses. .012 and 3/32 is the standard Fender setup. Not sure what to tell you, you're not exactly explaining what the problem is.

16. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

They don't do anything more than press the frets into the Squire basses. You probably aren't going to get a pro level setup out of one, without a little fret work. The amount of fertbord/fret prep going into those instruments goes down as the price goes down. You're probably lucky you got any of the Affinities under 1/8th inch.

17. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Used Lakland Skyline. Done.

18. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Latest case, even with a 1/8" spacer added the truss runs out of adjustment at .020 relief. Fret buzz starts at fret 17 when action is 1/8".

19. kbaxter26

kbaxter26

Media:
    Yeah,,,on my list to try. Never found one or a G&L.

20. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

I used to obsess over setup a lot too. sounds like you are very specific about what you like so sounds like you know what you're doing. in my experience there are a couple of brands I can count on that always seem to have great fret work and necks that take a good low setup. Euro and US spectors, laklands, and mike lull basses. sometimes you can find a used lakland 44-01 in that price range. occasionally a used Spector Rebop bass.

I don't really care as much anymore since most of the fret buzz doesn't come thru the amp anyway when you're playing with a band.

21. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

gotcha. yeah, the truss rod running out of adjustment sucks. and unlevel frets on the low-end basses is quite common. sometime you do get lucky and find a cheapie that has decent frets and can take a good set-up.