1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

So how come nobody told me the Peavey Foundation was this good??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Teacher, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Teacher

Teacher

Two days ago, I was in a pawn shop with my daughters (they were looking for an old Gameboy) and I wandered over to the guitars. I had zero intention of buying, but I spied a black Foundation that, aside from a couple of small dents and an obvious need for a refret, was in great shape. I played it a little and fell in love. But when I saw the price I nearly fell over: $179, original hardshell included. I went back yesterday and auditioned it on a sweet Hartke B90. Man, those Superferrites sing! Snagged it...and he threw in the Hartke for $100. Not a bad day!

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Nobody ever told you? Bro, go digging in the Peavey Club threads, we've got plenty to tell you :)

Congrats and happy bassing :bassist:

3. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

We didn't TELL you, because we're trying to keep it a secret that these vintage Made in USA Peaveys are the best money you'll ever SPEND on an affordable used bass! They are/were the best kept secret in the bass world, but it cannot last forever.

How many 70s-early 90s USA-made basses with quality construction, great tone, maximum durability and smokin' pickups can you buy today for under $1K? Not many! And in the case of Peavey (a company whose founder's motto was "a quality instrument that working musicians can afford"), because they were affordable when new, many people STILL (30 years later!) consider them to be "starter basses".

Congrats on your find. Be sure to check out the TB "USA Peavey Club" for many other stories, experiences, ideas and soundclips of these great (and still great value, for now!) basses.

4. Teacher

Teacher

Gonna have to snap pics and join the club.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oldrookie

oldrookie

Found a nice early-to-mid Foundation today at a local pawnshop. Sort of a cream color. $149.00, but decided not to buy it. Nice conditon, but got that vibe covered with my '83 Foundation. One of my favorites.

Still very tempting--$149 is a good price.

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
  8. Teacher

Teacher

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I love Super Ferrite four string Foundations! They have a perfect Jazz Bass tone, and I love those skinny necks.

10. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

i super ferrite them as well

11. Teacher

Teacher

Yes, the necks are just fantastic. I can't stop playing this thing! Great tuners, too.

12. capnjim

capnjim

No to mention, that these basses are as good as it gets. Lots of players spend big money on basses so they refuse to acknowledge that these 100-200$ basses play and sound as good as any bass ever made, more or less........