1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

So, how much adjustment can the truss rod actually pull off?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by steve42, Feb 13, 2014.

1. steve42

steve42

I have two basses. My original is a Dean Edge IV (about 10 years old) that I bought from an individual in 2010 as a part of a bigger buy. I learned on that bass and always liked the tone.

I noticed a couple of years ago that the neck seemed to be twisting just a bit. I was probably offsetting that for a while because I used a wall hanger at home, so the body weight was likely helping reduce the twist effect. My wife bought me a 3-guitar stand and took the wall hangers down when we remodeled, they never went back up.

About the time I bought my Epi EB-0 SG bass, I put the Dean on the rack with plans to work on it later. Now, I finally think I have time to do it, so I have to ask... how much impact can truss rod adjustments have on a neck twist?

Steve
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

Zero impact, unless you have 2 trussrods.
    Minor twistings can be corrected with a fret planning.
    Big ones can be compensated by reprofiling the fretboard and refretting.
  3. RSBBass

RSBBass

What Jazz Ad said. A truss rod is for adjusting relief. A twist is a real pain.
  4. BassKnuckle

BassKnuckle

+1
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

also, a twist has nothing to do with being hung up on a stand or not; the tension from the strings vastly outweighs the body mass.
  6. bswag

bswag Not a Real Bass Player Supporting Member

If you've ever wanted to practice repairs on a POS instrument- well, I'm afraid you've got one now to play with!
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    As in:

Body mass: ~10 lbs.
    String Tension: ~175 lbs.
  8. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

This. I've got 2 basses and a heavy guitar hanging up in my living room. Never had any issues in the necks on any of them.