1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

so i answer an ad and i get youtubes sent to me by the BL

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Icey101, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Icey101

Icey101

mmm...ok, so i am looking for a new band.

I answer an ad for a bass player and the BL sends me a bunch of youtube links.....

so i suppose i shouldnt be picky but really over here you dont have a huge amount of bands to chose from..

so anyway the clips of the band playing at a pub, doing their rock originals, that sound average....but no one is clapping, no audience up near the stage participating...nothing except them playing their songs...

so originals songs....occasionally i see local original bands with real energy that make it happen and yeh that would be great to be in that band

but this band would be just marking my time for something else, but its hard to start something that you just dont feel great with

am i to chosey?

i dont know but i need to answer something back to the BL soon i feel but not sure what to say
  2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

It's hard to tell from a video. It could have been just a bad night at the club the only night they had a camera man. Go meet them and see if there's chemistry. He's not expecting a yes or no without so much as a jam is he?
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Do you see any potential to energise the basslines and drag everyone up to a more exciting level?
  4. bluewine

bluewine

If they have decent paying gigs I'd do it.

Blue
  5. Icey101

Icey101

i'm thinking beer money, and i think ill look at the videos one more time...see if it can be added to
  6. pushbuttonfour

pushbuttonfour

could you maybe post the video in question?
  7. Icey101

Icey101

no thats cool, i just sent off a reply....i might go see em and see what happened...
  8. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Go and check them out. Maybe you could supply the missing ingredients.

I'd say that generally speaking, having a band to play with >>>>> having no band to play with, unless they really suck.
  9. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

IMO, this is the key to your question. You should definitely check them out since there aren't a lot of opportunities for you.

Aren't we all just marking time until the next band?? :p
  10. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Agreed. There are plenty of great bands out there that suck at their own marketting. As such, they have a few lousy youtube videos up taken by a buddy or a girlfriend that in no way capture how they sound or the vibe of their live shows. Go and meet them, and if they actually turn out to be a good band with good chemistry, then maybe stress to them that they need to get a promo video with at least a little bit of production value.
  11. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Link to video's?
  12. Orionsbelt1128

Orionsbelt1128

+1
  13. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    Audience reaction can be fickle sometimes... judge on the way the band plays not really by how the audience reacts.

I've played great shows before in front of audiences that weren't our style (like an alternative band getting booked at a country bar). One time I played a show to open up for this "national touring" act as a favor to the club owner, just to come and find out that they weren't really known and nobody showed up. Only people in the whole place were the other bands. We rocked the place and got tons of compliments from the other bands, but there was no audience participation.
  14. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

"Audience reaction can be fickle sometimes... judge on the way the band plays not really by how the audience reacts. "

+1

Everytime our audience dwindles and or stays in their seats it's an ego blow for sure but we keep hearing how "we rocked".

You referenced videos sent to you and you don't post them for lolz? How dare you sir. How DARE YOU.
  15. tycobb73

tycobb73

I wouldn't, based on the fact that they just showed they don't know how to market a band. If all I have is bad promo for my band then I don't show anything.
  16. charliefreak

charliefreak

It's my band and you're definitely not in now!

But for real, If the musics good- people will eventually start coming out to shows.
  17. vin*tone

vin*tone Supporting Member

What do you think of the music? Meet up with them, have a jam and a few beers. They could be good people.
  18. QORC

QORC

"Ain't no way to keep a band together. Bands come and go. You got to keep on playin', no matter with who."

Dell Paxton
  19. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

It doesn't sound very promising to be honest. Why would they post Youtube links of a show where the audience is bored? I'd be more inclined to just send audio of rehearsals.

Still, if you think they have some potential, then go for it. But it sounds to me like you weren't very impressed with what you heard.