1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

So I Ask The Guy...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StyleOverShow, Nov 18, 2012.

1. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Supporting Member

Went to local college bar for big game yesterday afternoon. Had too many beers and too much fun.

Sitting next to an old geezer, not unlike myself, I leaned over and asked him what he did. His delayed, stony face reply should have put me off, but hey I was on a high as UCLA was seriously kicking some USC booty.

Retired? Which dept? 48.5 years of service, going for a never seen 50 before retirement counselor talked him into pasteurization.

Library Science! I dealt the deathblow to the conversation as I said " what do you think of the information revolution in regards to access of digital data via the internet?"

He was pissed, a steam pipe fitter in the age of gasoline engines. I tried to douse the fire with a PBR....

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

So, are you still drunk then?

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Did he like the PBR?

It's funny, my wife just took over as director of her local public library from a woman who had been the director for 25 years or so. It really is a different world now; a library degree these days is practically an IT degree. This director had all sorts of political/budget struggles with the town council because she kept trying to run the place "old school" rather than keep up with the information tech.

It's not just libraries, it's most fields. The days when you get a job and sit on it for decades are gone. The technology keeps moving and you have to keep moving with it, or you get left behind.

4. StyleOverShow

Yeah, I guess that's the point. I worked for a large metropolitan newspaper for a decade and laughed when Ted Turner predicted the Internet would eat our $1b annual revenues in the mid 90's. i left in 2004 just before another purge of grey hairs making too much money

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

right! with the exponential abundance of psuedo-information and straight up misinformation so readily accessible, the field of library science is more vital than ever.

...but certainly not in the 20th century sense. call the field 'information science' if it makes you feel better.

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

This thread is a thinly veiled attempt to try to pass off PBR as real beer. You can create as many drunken scenarios as you like, but the truth is you're pretending.

:D

8. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

They DO call it 'Information Science'. I went down to UW-Milwaukee a couple of weeks ago and that's one of the degrees I looked at on their website.

9. StyleOverShow

2nd round call from bartender (owner) to me in a noisy bar "want a PBR", I respond "Nah! I graduated (college bar), Stella please". She asks the former info sci guy sitting next to me, 'nother PBR for you?

10. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Yeah, a lot of schools now offer an MLIS (Master's in Library and Information Science) rather than the plain old MLS (Master's in Library Science).

11. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Oh, you mean high-priced PBR? :D