So I finally did what I said I'd never do

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dtsamples, Mar 14, 2014.

1. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

I joined a cover band.

And it's the BEES KNEES [insert expletive of choice] :bassist:

A buddy of mine stepped out to focus on his original project (great band, he plays a 6-string upright E-e, really interesting stuff), and gave me the in-route. These cats are a bit older than me, but the nicest people I've ever met. Killer 3 part harmonies, great selection of tunes, solid-a** drummer. Just a fun time. Don't have to worry about writing tunes, just learn em, play em, and get paid.

The thing I always feared would be the worst part is having to play songs you don't like, but I found out that a lot of the songs I don't like are a lot more tolerable when you're actually playing them.

So, from a converted "cover bands suck" snob:

Find a good one and join it. It's income, keeps your chops up, and if they're weekend warriors, you can still do your original project.

:bassist::hyper:
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've been covering for the bass player in my buddies cover band when he couldn't make it. He started making it less and less often and now I'm the bass player. It's awesome. Playing music I love with my friends. I don't sing so I'm not quite as useful as the previous bass player, but it's good times.
  3. Itzayana

Itzayana

Check back with us after you have played MUSTANG SALLY and BROWN EYED GIRL for 50 or so weeks in a row.
  4. the ombudsman

the ombudsman

In front of a dance floor packed with hawt gurls! :smug:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Itzayana

Itzayana

That you will never get to meet anyway.
    Or you could just go to the mall and hang around the front of Victoria's Secret. You won't meet those girls either.
  7. dtsamples

Right on, 323!

I hear you Itz, but we don't play either of those tunes. So far:

Who Knew
    Slide
    I Don't Wanna Be
    I Want You Back
    Meet Virginia
    All I Want to Do
    Put Your Records On
    Valerie
    Let's Get It On
    Thing Called Love
    Hit me with your best shot
    Hard day's night
    Santeria
    Payphone
    Keep your head up
    Stronger
    What would you say
    my favorite mistake
    what I like about you
    Rolling in the deep

On deck:
    Just a Girl
    Rock & Roll
    My Sharona
    Before He Cheats
    Sledgehammer
    All I Want To Do
    American Girl
    Walk Away
    Love Me Like A Man
    The Warrior
    Use Somebody
    Are You Gonna Be My Girl
    Oh Darlin
    I Got You Babe

There are some cheese puffs in there for sure, but gotta take the bad with the good. I could see it getting old, but they seem pretty open to trying new things and going outside the box.

Thinking about Seven Days (Sting) next! Drummer can pull it off too! :hyper:
  8. baba

baba

Welcome. It's more fun than you think. I love playing in original bands but live cover shows are a blast.
  9. spade2you

spade2you

I'm about done with originals. Will probably consider a cover band on guitar at some point. Just not one that gigs every single weekend.
  10. Mike M.

Mike M.

I was in a cover band last year from May thru December. Mind you, I hadn't done this sort of thing since 1998......and I had a blast!

The best part was when we would go the improvisational route in songs and sometimes in the most unlikely of songs. It was like "whoa!! Where's that come from!!"

Have fun with it!
  11. dtsamples

I'm married, so doesn't bother me either way. It's mainly about getting out of the house, getting playing, and making extra money.

#sellout
  12. dtsamples

+1, too much of a good thing = not so good
  13. Crash 56

Crash 56

I will make the argument here that playing in a cover band can make you a better writer for your originals projects.You get to see alot of successful songs "from the inside", it can give you a better idea how to construct your own tunes.
  14. Itzayana

Itzayana

I am not some kind of originals purist. I have done cover bands in the past and may do it again at some point in the future. I just seem to get tired of it pretty quickly. After a few gigs playing those same old tunes the novelty wears off and I'm done with it.
    But I agree with you all that it's a gas to get out and play for a dancing crowd.
  15. dtsamples

+100

Not only a better songwriter but a better listener (assuming you don't just look up the transcriptions) and a better player because you are studying the musical perspectives of a ton of different players in an applied situation.

I can say that with authority because I've now been in a cover band for a month! :bag:
  16. mongo2

mongo2

Haven't played Brown Eyed Girl in years but we do Wild Night instead.

Mustang Sally always gets an excellent dance floor response. The crowd really enjoys songs like that and that's why we're getting paid, to entertain the audience so they stay, have a good time, and spend more money having a good time.
  17. Mike M.

Mike M.

We never played "Brown Eyed Girl" but instead, played "Into The Mystic" by Van Morrison. Always went over well.

"Mustang Sally".......was never brought up once! But I'll admit it can get a dance floor going!
  18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Yeah, both of those songs sound like money in the bank.
  19. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

I love doing cover music, and playing in cover bands. It can be a great night and a lot of fun if you're playing with the right people and the crowd is responding well. Plus it pays decent if you're in a decent band, which isn't exactly a bad thing. We do Mustang Sally, too. But it seems that Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy has become the new Mustang Sally for us.
  20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Crazy B**** is the Brown Eyed Girl for the 21st century. That has been my experience anyway.
  21. skwee

skwee

I basically just did the same thing: some friends asked me to join their band, and I didn't even hesitate, even though it may not turn into anything. At least I'll have another creative outlet, can work on my chops, and the best part is being able to finally do some tunes that my regular gig isn't interested in. Have fun, yo!