So I got these two pickups from a friend...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Blazer, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Disclosures:
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well, a guy I know who winds his own pickups told me that he had an epiphany about a bass he owned for the longest time and kind of forgot about.

He told me that he wanted to get himself a good P-bass but suddenly remembered "Hang on, I OWN something that I could turn into a good P-bass."

So he showed up at our workshop with one of THESE...
    [​IMG]

And told me that he was planning to rip out the stock pickups and replace them by a self made P-bass unit, since he thought that the pickups on a T-40 weren't in the right spots to hit the right sound he was looking for.

So I took the bass apart and routed the space between where the original pickups out to create a swimming pool. He later told me that the swimming pool not only improved the way the instrument sounded acoustically (T-40 basses sound really dead) but also that it wasn't as much strain on his shoulder.

So then he was left with the old pickups that he was going to throw away and he looked at me and went "You want them?"

Sure, why not, I'm not the kind of guy to pass up a freebee.

So here I am with two beefy, over sized humbuckers and I haven't got an idea yet on what to do with them.

Perhaps I should look for a bass carcass and put them in or build something to accommodate them what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. bassbenj

bassbenj

Those are a sweet freebee! I'd LOVE to have those in my "waiting on the next project bass pickup junk box"! To me they are so cool that if they were mine I'd consider dedicating a bass project just for them. You could build from scratch and they'd be a great way to top off a bass build project (assuming they sound and work as decent as they look), but I'm thinking I'd just get a nice cheap SX P-bass in alder or ash and install them in that. In fact, I've just bought a nice SX body for that very purpose although like the original guy I'm planning on real P-bass pickups. On the other hand a humbucker SX would be interesting since most of their basses have single coil or split-P pickups.

These really need to be the start of an interesting project! :)

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Heartbreaking.
    But at least you ended up with a pair of fantastic pickups for free.

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I've been talking with Handofseven about putting a set of these into a bass that doesn't expect it. We were thinking about an old Ibanez Roadstar, Blazer, or Roadster.

But I would put these into anything just for the fun of it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i'd be curious to hear one of those in a better location, maybe in the P bass spot or the MM "sweet spot" with a preamp.

also, in the stock bass you never hear them fully humbucking at full brightness, they had that stupid coil-splitting tone knob. just undoing that would let you hear them at their full potential.

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I put the coil splits on my T40 on push pulls so you can use them in humbucker mode without the tone roll off. It was an improvement.

Here is a bass I built with a set of T-40 blade pickups I found on the classifieds. The neck pickup isn't really in a standard P position on this bass, but It is moved down a bit from the neck compared to a T40
    [​IMG]

Here is the neck pickup soloed

Here is the bridge

and both

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  8. Hopkins

OP,

Personally I would have traded your buddy a P bass for his T40 just to keep him from hacking it apart, but whats done is done. If you ever feel inclined to sell those pickups send me a PM, I call dibs :D

9. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

All kinds of awesome. Here's mine - it brings the thunder like nobody's business:

[​IMG]

Absolutely owns the low end. :bassist:

10. Blazer

Blazer

Disclosures:
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Well you guys I think I found a cool donor bass for those pickups.

[​IMG]
    It's a G&L SB-1 that has seen better days but nothing that a bit of Titebond and TLC can't fix.

11. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Disclosures:
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    Those sound clips sold me. When a situation happens like this, it's like Divine intervention.
    The Universe is providing your opportunity for something special. Take it and run with it!

12. Hopkins

Yeah, T40 pickups are pretty badass. They are constantly something I search for on the forum or on Ebay.

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

That is a really cool bass what body is that?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  14. Hopkins

Its my original design, Its half Tele and half Jazz Bass. I call it "The Bastard"

Here is another one with a different pickup combo
    [​IMG]