So I have a show this Sunday

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheEndIsNYE, Dec 28, 2012.

1. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Well guys, for the first time ever I have a show (outside of school that doesn't involve extra school curricular music stuff). I'm a bit nervous because this is the first time where I've played at a venue. Also, it's just me a a bass solo-ist and my set is 30 minutes. I know it sounds silly for just a bass player to go on stage and doodle around or whatever for that long, but I just want to play. So uh, wish me luck? I'll post a link to my set whenever my friend(s) upload the video.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

3. Raymeous

Raymeous

Sweet.

Just remember to look away from the fretboard every once in a while and smile at the audience to let them know you're having fun. When you mess up just keep rolling with it or make a joke out of it if it's really an obvious mistake. It will make you human and will lighten the mood if the crowd is laughing as opposed to them being embarassed for you.

Have fun and keep us posted.
  4. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

That's actually what's been bugging me for a few days. Usually, I always think stage presence is more important even if you're sloppy rather than being still and precise all the time. But in this case, should I still stick with stage presence even if I am doing sloppy?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassteban

bassteban

Keep in mind the fact that you are doing something very few of them will ever have the balls to attempt. That has gotten me through MANY a bout of stage fright. You can do this. :cool:
  7. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

I'll keep that in mind, thank you! Right now I'm just stressing out what I need to put in my setlist which I don't think is even close enough to 30 minutes and its order. Right now, I'm for certain that my finale will be "(Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth). And I'm trying really hard to practice my butt off, especially this weekend, but even I get distracted by other things sometimes.
  8. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Despite the fact it's my first gig, is it still a good/common thing to interact with the audience?
  9. bassteban

bassteban

I'd say yes, but not too much. Let the music speak for itself unless a short intro feels right maybe. Dead air between songs can kill a good vibe, but so could a lotta blah blah blah
  10. David Jayne

David Jayne

For God's sake, yes. YOU will be the show. Even if you are the most incredible bassist on the planet, 30 minutes is really, really stretching it. Make it a variety act.
    If you just do a bunch of wanking while looking at your shoes, it'll be very quiet in there when you stop.
  11. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Or would it be better if the audience decided for themselves what to do? I'm not much of a crowd interacting kinda guy, especially when this is my first.
  12. David Jayne

David Jayne

Yes!!!
  13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Do you know a lot of songs? Could you take requests? Do you sing?
  14. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Unfortunately, I don't decide the set, the management or whoever does. :\ I'd prefer if I could choose mine to around 15 minutes but it's not my choice.
  15. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

No, I just play bass. A lot of the stuff I'm playing is my original material and there's like, 2 covers within the setlist.
  16. maxrathburn

maxrathburn

Well, I am 14 and am having my first gig outside of school on Monday. Not like what your doing, but just 5 songs or so with a band. Good luck, and have fun, would like to see how it went.
  17. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Good luck to you dude and likewise!
  18. David Jayne

David Jayne

OK. Try and get a couple of Christmas songs together -- people love that. Have stuff to talk about. Like why you got into music, or a particular song, how long it took to compose/learn it -- talk about yourself. You need to give them something to relate to the music you play -- give them the story.
    Start by introducing yourself and thanking everyone for being there, play a song or two, then talk awhile. Repeat. You'll do great.
  19. portlandguy

portlandguy

Good luck sir - Like someone said above, 99% of people dont have the guts to stand in front of a group of people. Just do what you do
  20. TheEndIsNYE

TheEndIsNYE

Hate to disappoint you dude, but I don't do well talking especially on stage or in front of people. I'm not a fan of Christmas music either. lol sorry And I personally believe in "No talking, just playing" philosophy. I know it sounds pretty boring but I'm not that outgoing. As for me doing great, I hope it goes well.
  21. David Jayne

David Jayne

Just trying to help. Good luck.