So I noticed when I suck less...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by SevenJacks, Nov 4, 2012.

1. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

...Is when there are people actually in front of us dancing or when you see lots of 'seat dancing' or hand tapping/grooving.

At our gig last night, only a few times were some (older) women dancing. It was during those times (I realized afterwards) that I got more relaxed and everything seemed to flow. During the songs that no one seemed to be paying attention is when the self-doubt and 'ugh what are we doing wrong' started creeping in.

I don't think I've noticed that before. I've always understood the idea that an entertainer feeds off the energy of the crowd but now I have a new realization.

2. warnergt

warnergt

Never underestimate the power of audience feedback.

It's funny that you mentioned the "seat dancing." That is so
    true. When you see someone sitting at the bar tapping or
    nodding in rhythm, it's very cool -- especially when they are
    somebody that you are certain would never get on the dance
    floor. When you know you're reaching those people, you feel
    pretty good.

3. tmdazed

tmdazed

My guys , we can be terrible in rehearsal , but like friday night , we played a gig and it came off SWIMMINGLY , something about the energy of a room that steps our game up immensely. But i guess thats what rehearsal is for, to get the terrible out before a show lol

must be something about a hot Filipino girl Staring at you like a fat kid at a chocolate cake , the rock star tends to come out of you ;)

4. judeix808

judeix808

Pic?? :bag:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. michaelstrand

michaelstrand

nothing worse than a dead crowd.

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Word. It's a two way street. You see the crowd grooving, you start grooving, they see you grooving and they get even more fired up. We played last night to a room of about 100 people who were all digging what we were putting down. Had technical problems in the beginning so for the first couple of songs I was a little stressed and bummed. After the sound guy figured it out and I had me a beer I started having a good time, gettin' stupid with the drummer and the guitar player. Crowd loved it and the show just got better all night long. Got an encore call and at bar close there were still a good 50-60 people there.

Definitely it is better when you are having a good time and you have a good crowd.

8. Not yet

Not yet

and it's not always us....in my bands case it's almost always the drummer. He has a good nite, we get em going. He off, we lose them...price you pay for settling

Don't think I'm that good, just consistent

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Even if you're having an off night though, having ( or appearing to be having) a good time on stage can turn a crowd in one song. I notice that I can change the mood of my singer/guitarist with mere body language, every single time. When he is having a bad night if I get up to him and start rocking out with him it will turn him around. When he is in a good frame of mind he sings and plays better. It doesn't take much to turn a crappy show into a great show or vice versa.

10. Bradass

Bradass

Our whole band agreed after our last show that it was the best we'd ever done, and my theory is that it was all thanks to the huge crowd and people really getting into it. We also deviated from the setlist more often to try and keep the same vibes together...we covered 3 blink 182 songs in a row at one point because they were going crazy for it. Nothing more gratifying than the whole bar singing "all the small things" word for word...we even backed off the mics and let them take over for a chorus. Probably one of my coolest performing moments yet. So yeah...a good crowd makes a good band even better!

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

The "seat dancing" thing caught my eye. If you spot that, go ahead and invite people to get up and dance from the mic. "Seat dancing" usually means they want to but they're too shy to be the first to get up. A little bit of a push, an explicit invitation, and next thing you know you can have a packed dance floor. I've seen gigs with NO one dancing until a singer outright said, "This is dance music, come on up and dance!"

12. Russell L

Russell L

A good crowd makes all the difference. My problem is that I'm not a dancer. I mean, I move around some when playing, but not too much. I always wonder how anyone can tell if I'm getting into it. But, they must be able to since my wife says she enjoys seeing me enjoying what I'm playing these days.

13. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

UPDATE:
    Didn't want to create a new RANT thread but seriously:

Was back at the same place and once again it was dead. This was after coming off a ripping gig at a new venue 3 weeks ago, where people were dancing and going absolutely bonkers.
    I was hitting the clam notes, drummer was a disaster. We kept looking at each other with the *** look. It's the place. It literally sucks your enthusiasm out of you. Having no crowd involvement is like Kryptonite. That was the closest I've been yet to not 'enjoying' playing out.

14. cirrusb2002

cirrusb2002

Disclosures:
    Peavey Cirrus#47, BAM & Versarray, G&L basses, Genz Benz amps
    Too true, that's where you have to learn to push through & play the music for itself, & yourselves, IMO. If you can groove regardless of the state of the crowd & the dance floor, usually you'll get the crowd going. Is the new place one of those where no-one dances, no matter who's playing? Check it out when other bands are there. Sometimes there's a key to the formula you may be missing. Hope it changes for you!

15. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

I believe this to be absolutely true. If it doensn't seem like it's "happening" on stage I do whatever I can to keep or bring the other players moods up.

16. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Your confidence as a player will make or break you. I don't care if you're yngwie malmsteen, if you're not feeling it, it'll show.

17. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Yep. When we have a small or restrained crowd, I always tell my bandmates to give them something they'll tell their friends about, & make them wish they had been here, too.

18. BassFuzz24

BassFuzz24

+1
    Well-said.

19. tmdazed

tmdazed

I usually suck lessss........... screw it , who am i kidding , I NEVER suck less.

Naww , I know what you mean , both the bands I play with ALWAYS seem to tighten the screws and sound way better with an audience , both groups have the same Mantra, 10 or 10000, we bring the A game when we play a show , something that both bands seem to have bought into and it works

20. SevenJacks

SevenJacks

It really makes you dig deep and work at being a musician, that's for sure. It's just that this place doesn't draw a dance crowd mentality because of the awful marketing and management they have had for years, yet they keep calling us... :p

Regardless, it's a paid rehearsal! ;)

21. Timgebutler

Timgebutler

We had a sound problem last night, whenever our conga player jumped around, there was a loud crackle, which turned out to be the XLR from my amp DO to PA. anyway the other guys spent the first set fiddling, tugging, tweaking in between each song trying to find the cause that we struggled to build an atmosphere. Once problem was fixed, we rocked but it goes to show that the space between the songs is as important to the success of the gigs.