So I played a Guy Cole and I Think I fell in love

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mgaisbacher, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

On friday I took a trip to Upton's shop in Connecticut. It was mostly just to play some basses since I just recently had Brescian hybrid built by them. Actually at this time last year I don't even think I placed the order so that goes without saying that the bass it just a little over a half year old. I love my upton and plan to have it for a long time if not forever but in the back of my head I know eventually I will want a fully carved bass.

So when I got there I started playing some of their basses first, starting with a fully carved brescain since I figured it would be the most comparable to my bass. I enjoyed playing their basses and could tell the difference between my hybrid and the fully carved brescain. Even though I really enjoyed playing there basses there wasn't one that I played that really stuck out to me as something I really loved, or something that I wish I could of taken home with me.

The I finally made my way to the Guy Cole which I had been eying up since I got there. The first note I played just filled the room and put a smile on my face. It had belcontos on it which I never really played before, I'm more a of a jazz spiro guy. Even with the belcontos it had a very full powerful sound with pizz and sung in the upper register. Then I played it arco which my arco playing isn't very strong but my go to thing to play is a F major scale in 3 octaves (since it covers mostly the whole register of the bass) and then play some of prelude to the 1st cello suite. Both of these things just seemed to effortlessly come out of the instrument. And the upper register just was so clear and perfect sounding. I could go on for much longer about this bass and I didn't even touch on it's looks or really how it played.

It was the bass that when I left, it had me wishing I had the money to walk out of there with it. ( On a unrelated note, anyone wanna lend me $35,000?) I am still very happy with my brescian hybrid from Upton and a Guy Cole may never be in my reach especially with him winning the gold medal so I'm guessing his basses are only going to go up in price. One thing my trip did make me realize was for the price range, Upton makes some of the best instruments you can get. There were a few basses I played there were from different makers that cost a thousand or more more then my bass which I didn't like half as much as my brescain. I have yet to play a bass that was around the same price of mine that I liked more than mine. It also seemed like the only basses I preferred over the Uptons were ones that were $25k and above, like the Guy Cole, the Prescott, and the Hawkes. Other than the Cole and Prescott non of them really wowed me over the Uptons.

I would also like to add this is just my opinion and I wanted to share my experience.

2. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

It's great when you find a bass that just does everything right for you. I have also played a few I loved, but couldn't afford. It's great that there are modern makers like Upton out there making great value modern instruments.

3. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent

Were you able to check out the Benedict Puglisi bass while you were there? If so, what did you think? I've never played or seen one in person, but they look amazing. And apparently Christian McBride just bought one…

4. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member

I just spotted the Guy Cole bass on Upton's site. I was thinking it was an old bass. It looks superb!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

The Cole instruments are probably the best things coming out of China.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Disclosures:
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    :D

8. Mgaisbacher

I was able to play that bass a little and it was a great bass but just didn't hit me the same way that the Cole did.

Arnold what do you mean by that? Also i would love to play one of your basses, I don't think I have ever seen or heard one in person.

I am starting my search for my next bass now even though I don't plan on buying one for at least a few years. When I bought my first Upton I didn't really have anything to compare it to and mostly anything was better than the ply I was playing. I love my Upton and like I said earlier probably will keep it forever unless it needs to go to fund a new bass. But Arnold, your basses are ones I will need to check out, even if I can't afford them ha ha.

9. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Yup, I've heard Guy Cole basses don't sound that bad.

10. Mgaisbacher

Yeah I messaged you about trying to check your Cole bass out a few months ago right? How has it been playing and opening up? I can only imagine great things.

11. Adam Attard

Adam Attard

Right, I remember now. Its been doing pretty well.

12. Mgaisbacher

Good to hear, You are a lucky owner of a great bass.