So if you want to build your own bass cab, are you just S.O.L.?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ironbar, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar

It seems to me after some preliminary investigation, that building your own bass cab is some sort of closely guarded secret, and what information IS out there in cyberspace is either too simplistic or too complicated.

I can easily build a cabinet- I've got all the tools and knowhow needed. What I don't have are instructions.

IS this the case? Is it some sort of grand conspiracy to prevent us plebeians from usurping the knowledge and thus freeing us from the shackles of cab manufacturers? :p
  2. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Try BFM cabs. The Simplexx cabs especially are very straightforward. They are $14.95 for the plans, iirc.
  3. repoman

repoman

...but after you get the plans we're going to have to kill you.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Search for DIY speakers and cab builds on here, plenty of us roll our own. Matter of fact, I think there is a whole section in the stickies somewhere dedicated to it, with lots of links.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Foz

Foz

Well - if there is such a conspiracy it aint working very well.

There's at least one designer I know of who leads a for profit cab building enterprise who set his project off with a bang by giving away a whole line of modular cabs designs.

http://greenboy.us/forum/index.php

http://greenboy.us/fEARful/
  7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    OP - do you actually want to design a cab, picking drivers and designing every aspect? Or to do you just want to have everything done and you just piece it together?
    Because those are two entirely different things.
  8. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I've got a file on my PC of bass speaker cabinet designs I've collected from the web for several years. From classic JBL, Altec Lansing and Karlson cabs, to modern Greenboy and Bill Fitzmaurice cabinet, I have found hundreds if not thousands.

Speakers are marketed with the TS parameters to allow design of whatever cabinet you need for a particular driver. Speaker box design programs are available all over the net, from free to purchase. There are multiple forums (like this one) where knowledgeable builders will help you design whatever you want.

There are free plans, plans for purchase, detailed plans, barebones plans, precut kits, authorized builders, etc.

If you aren't finding the info you want, then you aren't looking very hard.
  9. Ironbar

Ironbar

Hell no I don't want to design it! I just want to build it!
  10. Mugre

Mugre

Ironbar wants someone to hold his hand to find speaker box PLANS. For half the price of a new release video game, you can buy a book filled with them. For a quarter of the price you can find a book that will tell you how to figure out with free software how big a bass cabinet should be for any given speaker as long as you have the Thiel-Small parameters for the speaker. Option last, copy another box and put similar speakers in. If the TS parameters are close you'll be in the ballpark.
  11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

IIRC you can buy flat packs of pre cut parts from some of the Greenboy approved builders. That would allow you to just "build". You will have to decide on how you want the finished cabinet to look, and do what is required to make it so.
  12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Then just find a cab that you like and copy/build it.
  13. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

This ^

There are entire communities on TB alone for builders/users of Fitzmaurice and fEarful products. They'll sell you the plans for very cheap, and both Bill and greenboy are even active posters here, so you can ask them questions.
  14. Steve Dallman

15. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

Idk, I've built three cabs now. They aren't the tuned, technically involved design of say, a Greenboy, but personally I'll take the old Sunn designs with their lack of TS-specs over those designs anyway.
  16. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    As has already been posted, Bill Fitzmaurice sells the plans for his designs and greenboy's fEARful plans are free.

Both have forums filled with helpful people if you need help during your build. Both provide cut sheets and 3D Sketchup models.

If you need more hand holding than that...
  17. Steve Dallman

Electrovoice TL cabinet plans have been available free online for quite a while. I got paper copies decades ago and have built many. They work well with many Eminence speakers.
  18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

What he said.
  19. webmonster

webmonster

I am currently building a TL-606 cabinet to go with the one I have already. I'm pretty sure I got the link from a posting here on TB.
    Are you thinking about a classic design or a modern one?
    Cross over or full-range?
  20. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    So, OP, what sort of cabinet would you like?

There are fullrange, high power handling ones that are clean reproducers of sound. There are horn loads designed to get the loudest volume out of the fewest number of drivers. There are a great many Musical Instrument speakers designed to impart their own character on the tone. There are big ones, small ones, short ones, tall ones, skinny ones, fat ones, itty bitty black ones, blue ones and red ones, working and dead ones, orange ones and yellow ones and even tiny in-ear ones. Ya got fifteens and tens and twelves and eights and sixes and fours and so many more. Eins, zwei, drei, spiel, tell us more, you know the deal. You can't find speakers on the worldwide web?, just buy one that works or you're better off dead.
  21. Ironbar

Ironbar

Yeah thanks everyone, but I kinda got the point after posts #2 and #5. To everyone else who piled on.....nah screw it. I'm not going down that road.