1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

So I'm About to Be the Proud Owner of a Rickenbacker...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by speak2planets, Jan 10, 2013.

1. speak2planets

speak2planets Supporting Member

So, I just purchased a 1974 Rickenbacker 4001 from a very generous TB'er. I haven't recieved her yet but want to be ready to bring her into my home. First, when it comes time to change her first diapers, err I meant strings, I want to get the good old Chris Squire sound. I know I need to get some Rotosound 66's off of bassstringsonline.com but is it just a matter of preference whether they are nickel or stainless? Second, my main rig is a GB Shuttle 6.0 into a MarkBass 2x10 and 1x15. I also have a Roland keyboard amp with a 12" and a horn that I use with my keyboards. If I want to play around with the Rick-O-Sound, should I just run the neck pup to the Roland and the bridge pup to my GB? I know I need to get a 1/4" split cord to do this but does the splitter and the subsequent cables that run to the amps need to be stereo or TRS or will regular old mono cords work? I am sure that I will have a few more questions and I will ask them as I realize them. Thank you to all you TB'ers in advance for your help. Its one thing to look up answers online but I think the greatest resource out there when it comes to real world solutions is the hands on knowledge this community has to offer. Cheers!!:hyper:

2. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
  3. speak2planets

I will when she gets here. Just got the FedEx tracking number and I squealed like a little girl!!

4. millsbass5

millsbass5

IIRC, they only offer 66's in stainless. Besides, if your're chasin' a Chris Squire tone, stainless is the way to go.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Regarding the Ric-O-Sound- you'll need a cable that's stereo, (TRS) on one end, and splits to TWO normal TS ends on the other side. You plug the TRS end into the ROS jack on the bass, and then each of the 2 mono ends can go to the 2 amps. You only use oNE jack on the bass, standard jack with standard TS cable for mono, or TRS cable to double mono from the ROS jack, never both jacks.

7. speak2planets

Cool. Thanks man. That is exactly what I needed to know about the Rick-O-Sound. But if you can, answer me this. The only two 1/4" splitters I am finding is a male TRS to 2 female TRS and a male TS to 2 female TS . Is the fact that the females are TRS going to affect running the mono cables from them? And I definately don't want the TS adapter, right? TS=Mono, correct? I know this is probably a rookie question but I just don't know the answer.

8. speak2planets

Whoops, I stand corrected. I found a male TRS to 2 female TS. Thats what I'm going with

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

That's what you want. Then, use 2 normal 1/4" TS cables from there to the 2 amps. Presto- Ric-O-Sound!!

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Ah, a new RickDaddy.
    I miss my 1974 4003.
    Enjoy.

11. woodyng

woodyng

Congrats,and hope you love your Ric! I have a '74 (4000),great 3 piece neck. I have not used rotosounds for years, just wanted to recommend DR fatbeams or hibeams as a alternative SS RW string. I've also used the DR sunbeams (nickle) on that bass,too,they are a bit smoother sounding,the fatbeams really have a nice clank.

12. msb

msb

... and read up on how to adjust the old style truss rods .

13. speak2planets

I wondered about this. Thanks for the heads up

14. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

66's are available in nickel too...I use both. But I think on a the 74 I personally would use the nickel just because I would want to baby it as much as possible. But that is just me.

Oh and by the way.....

CONGRATS!:bassist:

15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

You should play "Hold Out Your Hand" on it first :) Congrats on the new2U bass!

16. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    +1

But still hoping for pics! :D

17. portlandguy

portlandguy

pics when It gets there

18. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I have a '74 4001 that I love. When it arrives check to see if you have red side marker dots....that was a 1974-only anomaly, and even then only part of the year.

Congrats!

19. msb

msb

Here's a link to the Rickenbacker Maintenance section of Joey's Bass Notes .

http://www.joeysbassnotes.com/Rick_maint.htm

Your 4001 will have the older rods that must be tensioned before you tighten them . It's easy to do and I think they are more stable than the newer style rods .

Rics are quite different than other basses . It's best to learn what you can about them . Joey's page is a good start ...

20. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

Where did you find that cable?

21. speak2planets

Good old amazon. It was only like $6 to boot