So, Is Schecter CRAP?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jlepre

jlepre

First off, I am NOT trying to start a flame war. Just looking for some insight on some recent observations.

I mean it seems on this forum that if it's not Fender or some boutique brand bass, it's look down upon for some reason.

Any thoughts?
  2. Poopoutyouridea

Poopoutyouridea

3. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

Yes. They're not Fender or a boutique bass so they suck.
  4. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

They're not crap, but they usually take some upgrading.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I'm not sure where you got this impression but it definitely doesn't hold the trial of analysis.
    SX and Danelectro come to mind as inexpensive brands that get highly regarded on this forum.
    On mid market, Carvin and LTD get praises.
    I haven't seen a lot of critics against Schecter.
  7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

I had one & the electronics werent great, i got hosed on it
  8. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

any examples of the schechter hate you're referring to? I think they're regarded about the same as any other off shore mid level brand. have you played one? what do you think of the examples you've tried?
  9. tomydacat

tomydacat

I have a Model T and it is not crap.. IMO
  10. micgtr71

micgtr71

My friend swears by his. Seems like a great bass. I haven't played it because it is a lefty.
  11. micgtr71

micgtr71

Come to think of it, in Toronto in the early 90s I played a schecter jazz bass that was wonderful. It felt and sounded great through a trace preamp, demeter power amp and a bag end 210. The pickups were mounted to the bass without covers. Maple neck before they were back in vogue.
  12. That Sustain

That Sustain Banned

The used to make high end Fender style instruments. Now they're kind of a goth kid thing.
  13. benthughes

benthughes Supporting Member

They have varying price tiers as many companies do so it depends on the model you're looking at. I had A Schecter C4 as something to play in college after I had to sell my Zon :(. I wasn't disappointed with my choice. Great neck, decent fret work and a quality build. It didn't sound amazing but it was well worth upgrading. They certainly make decent basses for a reasonable price.
  14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

One man's crap is another man's treasure.
  15. SherwoodGreen

SherwoodGreen Banned

I have no experience with that brand; I know MOST of the production is low-priced offshore built models...BUT; they do have a Custom Shop:
    And it would seem by this example that they produce some very nice instruments.
  16. Worldeeeter

Worldeeeter Supporting Member

Of all the low-end instruments for sale at GC, Schecters look and feel the best.
    The electronics aren't great, but whaddya want for $300?
    They have a unique look, allowing them to carve a niche in the "my teenager wants a guitar/bass" market.
  17. throughthefire

throughthefire

I've got a Squier Affinity Precision and a Schecter Diamond Deluxe-4 (from 2002) .

I haven't seen the Squier for over a year - it's always out on loan because I don't like it. The (Korean) Schecter gets all the play time.

It's an active bass, but the electronics don't really do anything. I set everything to the center detent and leave it alone.

Fit and finish? Not bad; good enough for me!

It's a workhorse. I don't use the hard case with it (too much hassle when I'm carrying everything else), so it gets knocks here and there - or 'attracting mojo' as some might say.

If I lost it, I'd buy another.
  18. darkstorm

darkstorm

I'll take a schecter over a fender anyday. lol.
  19. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

Disclosures:
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    I think they stink.

I must say though...the manufacturers of these asian instruments have found ways to make cheap wood look very botique and "high end".

They may not sound the best or whatever but the sure do look better than many other same price-range instruments.
  20. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

I've always kind of liked the Stiletto Custom line of Schecters. One of the better B strings on the fivers I've played. Extra scale length makes them not quite as floppy and loose feeling I think.
  21. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I don't see them as great 'off the rack' basses. But I do see them as a pretty decent chassis that can easily be refined. To me they are the poster boys of the classic, horribly setup, GC deals. But of the "higher end" that I have touched, they seem to be fairly well constructed. A good setup and maybe new electronics? You could get a fairly nice bass for the dime.