So my bass player needs opinions on a rig

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by xethicx, Mar 22, 2014.

1. xethicx

xethicx

Hey guys.

I admittedly don't know a whole ton about bass amps, I know some of the amps that I have heard and which ones have made an impression but for values etc I need advice to give him.

Ok so right now he is rigless as his 1x15 combo finally bit the big one. He needs a lot of volume but he is on a budget.

He is considering the Fender Rumble 2x10 combo which is brand new for $400 US shipped or so. But he's not sure that will be enough to keep up with the band or not.

The other option is a used Ampeg SVT4 with a PR410H cab for what would end up being about $1000 US shipped. This amp would be at the top of his price range and might put him out a little bit but it seems like a solid deal.

I know absolutely nothing about either of these amps. Are they decent? Is there something ballsy enough in the classifieds that someone would honestly advise instead?

Thank you everyone

2. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

All depends on the room what's appropriate. Also what else he's competing with? Heavy hitting drummer?

I'm getting away with a GK 400RB and a 2x10 bagend cab for practice in a garage with Roland Drums on PA and Marshall Stack for the single guitar.

If needed for live rig I can roll out the SWR SM900 and 2x15 JBL D140 loaded cab or add another 2x10 bag end cab for a 4x10 stack...

Since the 2x15 is a beast to transport the latter would be tried at least once...next gig possibly.

If your drummer hits hard then for sure need to go big if this is going to be his only rig.

3. xethicx

xethicx

Hard hitting drummer, two vocalists, 5150+4x12, mesaboogie + 2x12/4x12 in a fair sized room.

Problem is neither he nor I know much about the SVT4 and the cab really. Is this a good rig? is that a good price?

4. Linnin

Linnin

He'd better get one of the new Fender Rumble 500 heads, and a pair of the matching 410 cabs. $1200 shipped. Should be available end of March.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. car_man65

car_man65

The svt4 has a few more tonal option than the rumble 2x10, besides that rumble2x10 would not keep up with a loud drummer. My 1x15 is starting to become how can I say it.... Too wimpy. Its tricky to get bass to punch through the mix with small setup, a loud drummer and 2 guitars. The only real option is more wattage pushing more speakers.

7. xethicx

xethicx

what about the Fender rumble 350 head with the Ampeg cab? Guy said he would sell the cab on its own for $350 shipped. So the cab is no issue.

So can someone recommend an affordable but ass kicking head to me? He really wants the ampeg cab but the SVT4 is where it gets a little expensive for him.

Thanks for all the advice coming.

8. Vintagefiend

Vintagefiend I don't care for 410 cabinets at all.

Get the SVT4 rig and be done with it.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ampeg PF800 or PF500 are ass kicking and not as expensive as the 4 Pro. But the 4 Pro definitely has a sound to be reckoned with. I'd at least consider it if I were him.

10. xethicx

xethicx

Yeah he really wants the SVT rig but he just doesn't know if he can afford it.

11. kzr750r1

kzr750r1 Supporting Member

Tell him to suck it up buttercup and get the Ampeg. He will be happy with it and better come ready to not miss a note. Cause with that rig your going to hear it. :)

12. Halvorsen

Halvorsen

I'm guessing by your user name and your band's lineup you guys play some form of Hardcore or aggressive music?

Usually, that means playing crappy D.I.Y. venues that have PA support for the vocals only and the backline needs to carry the room most of the time.

What tuning do you play in?

I can't even imagine how he was getting by with only a 1x15 until now. Did it catch fire and explode?

In my experience, He'll NEED at least a 4x10 and 500-600 watts solid state to keep up with the rest of you.

That might be barely enough in some cases depending on if you are good about adjusting the guitar levels to the drums and bass, and how he EQs his rig. A bass frequency heavy tone sucks up more power to be heard in the mix. Midrange EQ helps the bass be heard in the mix. The more speakers the better.

He could get the PR410H now and add another 8 ohm cab later if he needs it. Another matching PR410H would be the best option.

Does he have a car big enough to fit an 8x10? I hear those are going for REALLY cheap these days if you can find one for sale used locally. Like in the $300-$500 range. Then get as powerful a head used as he can afford.

You guys will sound fuller as a band with some power behind the bass rig.

So yeah, 4x10, 2x15, 8x10, and at least 500 watts is my suggestion. Go used and get more for the money.

13. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Disclosures:
    student
    gotta go Ampeg I.M.H.O.

14. xethicx

xethicx

Death metal and no, no crappy DIY venues at all, every venue in town has a killer FOH system. We actually don't play live that often, it's more about jamming, recording and playing for the love of metal for us. Weve all been playing live a long long time and shows are just meh unless it's something really worth playing.

15. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

Gotta search the forums for "best bass rig for death metal."

And good luck!

16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Medium size room huh? Say the size of a double garage? I can see how you got away with 15" combo, if y'all have volume control. Those guitar rigs can overkill even good sized stages, if given the Spinal Tap treatment.

Given you always have full PA at gigs there isn't really any need for a stadium stage bass stack. A couple of 210's or 115's would be fine. It's easy for us to spend your guy's money!

17. fxdwg

fxdwg

I think for what you are looking for you might think about a 412/1001rb rig.

18. Jim Campbell

Jim Campbell Banned

one would think anything less than a fridge/svt combo ,or maybe even several of them in a row would appear out of place in a death metal scenario....

19. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Tell him he needs to quit messing around with a 410, and to find an 810 or two to pair with the SVT-4.

20. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

Are bass players not able to find their own gear? Why are there so many threads with guitar players doing all the research?

21. SiSoldier

SiSoldier

I agree, you can find used 810 SVTs for $400-500 all day. Find a decent amp and boost the signal with a sans amp pedal.