So... my Mom died...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wraub, Apr 10, 2014.

1. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Hi. Some of you may know me from my various stupid questions and questionable musings around here, as well as most of the rest of TB. All good times. But this is more serious. Please indulge me.

My Mom died a little over a week ago. She had been in poor health for years, with numerous ailments and conditions, and had been living with my family and me.

She had been going through home hospice care for the last couple years, and that seemed to be helping her greatly.
    Recently, she had a major downturn, and went to the hospice facility where had stayed before. Talked to her in the morning, she said she was tired and going to take a nap. The next day she was unresponsive, and remained so for the next week, until she died.

I keep telling myself that she's better off and her suffering is done, and I am positive that this is true.
    But, we have been dealing with her things, and there are many memories there.
    Some days are better than others, and the bad days can be pretty bad.
    I know in my heart that this is better for her, after many years of constant pain, but, still, I miss my Mom.

One of my guitarists lost his mom last year, and he has been some help. And family has been very supportive. But, again, there are good days and bad.
    Anyone have any advice to get through this that might help?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this seems like a pretty good group, and I thought someone here might have some help to offer.

Thanks for reading.
    Be well.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss my prayers go out to you and your family. I always considered myself a great father but there is nothing in this world like the love from a mother the vast majority of humans that have walked this earth have been nurtured by their undeniable love and devotion I can't think of any loss greater I'm here if you need anything.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Same here. My condolences.

4. elgecko

elgecko

I just want to offer my condolences and let you know that it'll eventually get better. I lost my mom to cancer 24 years ago and I still miss her.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa via the Northside of the 'Burg!
    Prayers to you and your family
    My only advise would be to reach out and not try to shoulder everything yourself
    There are church groups, grief groups...
    I lost my parents at a young age and you will never stop loving her or missing her but life has to go and you will too

7. PWRL

PWRL

I'm sorry. I know it's hard but it's one of those things where you just have to keep going. At least that's been my experience with the loss of my Dad. Although loving somebody means always missing them to some degree, the pain of missing them will go away and be replaced by fondness and good memories.
    Hope that helps somehow.

8. squirefan

squirefan

My sincere condolences.

9. Lot lizard

Lot lizard

So sorry for your loss.

10. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

I know someone who's grandma was in the same situation and also recently died. I know it can be painful but it's good to know at least she's in a better place.

11. brokenstoned

brokenstoned

My sincere condolences

12. Lefty923

Lefty923

Disclosures:
    Forum Admin/Owner: Dr. Z Amplification
    My mom passed in January, and today is the 3 year anniversary of my dad's passing. I feel your pain. I hear it takes at least a year to get back to normal. Chin up.

13. bassinplace

bassinplace

I lost my little sister in January to cancer. I know it's hard. It's best to remember the good times and be grateful for them. I like to think that whatever thoughts you have after they pass will reach them wherever they are. That may may not be true, but it can't hurt.

14. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Been there too, I understand and give you my condolences...

15. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

So sorry to hear that ....

16. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

It's been almost a year since I've lost my dad. He is birthday is this Monday. It was unexpected. He was my best friend and I lived with him 5 years prior. The pain will subside a bit. Think of the good time. I replay memories on the way to work and back. Every day. It's tough. And I still breakdown sometimes. Try to be positive and remember the good times.

17. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Thanks to you all. Sincerely, I appreciate it.
    Again, I know she's better off, now that her suffering has ended, and I hope/feel she's indeed in a better place.
    Years of this ahead, huh? Maybe not quite the news I was hoping for , but I will deal with it.
    As to the shouldering it alone part, that's part of my problem with this, I think. While I am not exactly alone, with wife, kid, aunts/uncles, friends all offering support, she was my mom, not theirs, and I feel that this pain is really my own, and I must deal with it and try to move on.
    Trying that every day.

18. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been through this, too. Lost my grandmother many years ago after caring for her at home with Alzheimer's. Last year I lost my dad in February and my mom in July. In all the cases, they had been dealing with failing health and my logical side recognized that they no longer are suffering. But the process of going through things still makes your heart hurt. That's natural. It will fade in time, but just remember the good stuff and understand that grief is normal. Everyone does it a little differently and there's no set time on how long it should take. It simply takes the time it takes.

In the interim, if you want to talk, feel free to PM.

19. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Sorry to read this. You may want to take a long weekend away from home, to give yourselves a break. Caring for someone on a full-time basis has a lot of effects and having to deal with her belongings just adds to the load.

My brother came back for the estate sale after Dad passed and at one point, when a lot of things needed to be done, I found him gazing at the family photos on the wall in a hallway. I asked what he was doing and he said, "This is hard". I had been there full time for months and my response was "What do you think I've been dealing with?".

It is hard. Take care of yourselves.

20. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

No advice. I can't imagine how I'll feel when my mom leaves, so I can't know how you feel; I just know it has to be awful. I feel for you wraub. Peace be with you.

21. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm sorry to hear this. I lost my dad last month, and it just plain sucks.