So... Recorded bass on this recently.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Schmorgy, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

Recently helped some buds by recording bass on their post-hardcore debut. Feedback appreciated.

Old People advisory: Screaming music.

2. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I am an old person and I like it. Also, I like your bass tone . It sounds big and fat. To me what really stood out is the contrast between the screamer and then suddenly you get some nice vocal harmonies. Nice surprise.
  3. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

Couple things:
    - Bass drums don't have enough mids (sounds almost like they're all bass)
    - clean vox lacking a bit of intensity and were slightly off in some parts.
    - Growls sounded a little forced, as if the vocalist was trying to growl with his vocal chords. (That's bad for him!)
    - Lead guitar was slightly overpowering.
    - A bit of bass distortion/OD can go a long way in reinforcing the guitars, IME.

These are just suggestions to improve quality. So nothing huge to point out, but the small things can really make a difference! Other than these, it sounded sweet. Nice composition, song flowed along nicely. Sounds like something I could get into, dig it!
  4. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

I was pretty much helping out so my actual input wasn't quite as important as what the band members wanted (Though admittedly I pointed out many of the same things you did, hah). I recorded the whole bass track in about 10 minutes. 5 minutes through with distortion, but they didn't like how it sounded, so I did it again without.

Pre-mastering, I thought the guitars sounded a lot better, but the bass drum was still way heavier, so it's actually come down quite a bit from there. I preferred the bass tone I had before they messed with it a bit, but that's purely my preference and I deferred to the band on that one.

Pre-mastering snippet http://www.mediafire.com/listen/448d5dmkzdr219d/Identity Snippit.mp3

And yeah, the growler was doing it from his throat, against the advice of pretty much everyone involved. He has since purchased Melissa Cross' Zen of Screaming DVD to try to learn how to properly do it from his diaphragm and avoid nodes and other fun stuff.
  5. Register to disable this ad