1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

So the Cliff Burton signature bass costs a little bit

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeebHammer70, Jan 18, 2013.

1. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

2. Jumpno

Jumpno

Could it be? The best bass for metal?
  3. mournblade

mournblade

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I remember those basses the first time. They weren't all that great. Not horrible, but nothing to get excited about when it's reissued. And I love Cliff.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Four thousand pounds??!!?!?!!

This doesn't seem like a cash grab at all... don't most people associate him with his ric anyways?
  7. Tupac

Tupac

4000 pounds? That's $6000 USD right? Yeah, no thanks. I think I'll get a boutique instead. I think they always list the basses as more expensive than their street price though, it'll probably end up being $4000 USD. Still.
  8. SDMFJay

SDMFJay

guess that's the reason they will be made in "limited quantities". wow. I'll pass thanks.
  9. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Cliff is the reason I became a bassist. I've owned Rickenbackers... great sound, but they feel different than all other brands: scale length, string spacing, weird bridge and pickup routes, body/neck "banana-ing" issue that makes a lot of vintage Rics (and some that are fairly new) unplayable.

I've picked up and played some Arias back in the day that were like Cliff's old bass... nothing special but they were built well and definitely felt better than Rics IMO.

That said, I have no desire to spend a large chunk of money on a Cliff bass.... unless I win the lottery.
  10. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

Yea, "limited" to how many they sell!

11. Hellbastard

Hellbastard

12. HeebHammer70

HeebHammer70

I was always under the assumption the Metallica way was to get crappy gear then mod it like hell. Hence why I bought a MIM P bass. That and a distortion pedal!
  13. VS

VS

Disclosures:
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
  14. gurensan

gurensan

Jezniss. How many people actually think that Cliff would go for a 24k plate bridge??!? Seemed more down-to-earth than that..vis-á-vis his penchant for midrange basses when he could afford much better (MoP days).
  15. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I never thought of Cliff Burton's bass riffs as exciting enough to merit buying his signature guitar... whether it costed $100 or $10,000.
  16. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

for that amount of $$$, im buying a usa spector or german warwick. those are good basses.
  17. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Gold plated tuners? Really?

It must be nice to have money to burn on gold-plated tuners.
  18. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

He definitely was an influential player to a number of people, but I really didn't see many people buying his sig model. Given that his biggest supporters tend to be younger kids just starting on bass, I doubt they'll sell more than a handful of these.
  19. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Or one of each for that price :)
  20. sumgruuvz

sumgruuvz

for sure.