So the power goes out 2 minutes before we go on...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by RichardCranium, Jul 5, 2013.

1. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

And we're sitting in the dark hoping to pack up early.
  2. RichardCranium

They paid us and said pack it up and the power came on 15 minutes later!
  3. David Jayne

David Jayne

and then what happened? Did you play?
  4. RichardCranium

No which helped we're driving overnight to get to the next gig so we got a jump on it.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

But did you get paid?
  7. cnltb

cnltb

Nice!
  8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

I went to see ELP when I was in high school and about 10 minutes into their show the PA quit working.

About 3 minutes after, while techs frantically tried to run down the cause, Greg Lake pulled up a stool and an acoustic and proceeded to play and sing unplugged for the better part of 45 minutes while the PA was fixed.

One of the best acoustic sets I've ever seen.
  9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

So how did that work? They paid you, then the power came back on just as you were about to walk out the door? Then you gave the manager a look and said. "Welp, we'll be on our way now...thanks!"

:ninja:
  10. jason weatherby

jason weatherby Supporting Member

Greg Lake is an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING artist!
  11. RichardCranium

Yeah sort of like that! They had no idea how long it would take and we had already waited over 2 hours and pretty much everyone had left.
  12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

About a zillion years ago, we had a power failure while we were playing a small bar in Ft Worth. The guitarist had an Ovation on stage with him. And the keyboardist and I had acoustic guitars out in the truck. So we all sat down on the front edge of the stage with two six strings and a 12 string. The drummer sort of improvised hand percussion out of whatever he could find and a waitress went around to all the tables lighting up candles in those weird little jar things.

We just kind of winged a hour and a half of songs we didn't really fully know. But it was amazingly cool. Everybody got into it, and sang along mostly. The bartender gave away beer because he couldn't charge for it.

Normally we were an originals band. But that night we did probably 80% covers.

It was cooler than this probably sounds.
  13. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I played a gig (my first gig with that band) last summer at a pavilion in our local park. The pavilion was enclosed so it wasn't too bad, but after over an hour of setup (I ran the PA), a storm came through.

A BAD storm. It killed the power ten minutes before we were going to start. Crossed fingers didn't help, and about a half hour later, the guitarist and I decided to make a quick run to our houses and grab our acoustic guitars.

[​IMG]
    My first gig with this band, and I'm not only on guitar instead of bass, but there's no power and the clouds made our stage area VERY dark.

We had a blast!! Took "the show must go on" to a new level, and the crowd loved us for it. We all gathered near the stage area, campfire style, and with two acoustic guitars, led the room in a fun singalong. Most fun first gig EVER.
  14. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

That's kind of how ours was. I expected we would just be managing to keep everyone inside until the power came back on. In stead, people told me about being there at that show years later.
  15. grey area

grey area

we were headlining a festival in barcelona once(2005)and it over ran so about half way through the set they turn the house lights on, much booing but we carried on so they cut the power to the stage we finished the set a cappella, singing the instrumental parts to the first two or three rows, great fun but pretty tough on the throat. we got paid so we were happy.
  16. jaywa

jaywa

Class act by the client. There are folks out there who in that situation, would have tried to weasel out of paying you (even though they already had their gate receipts in hand). Glad this wasn't one of them.

I've never had a gig cancelled cause of a power outage but I did have an outdoor gig rained out last year just as we were going onstage (despite perfect weather for the two bands that played ahead of us, go figure)... and another one this year that we had to call after 3 songs due to severe lightning. Thankfully, in both instances we got paid in full.