so this guest guitard shows up....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by eg320, Nov 8, 2012.

1. eg320

eg320

Was playing a big Halloween party in cover band, and this friend of BL shows up.....wheels an amp and effects on stage, takes over a huge portion of stage including my mic, and seems to think that it's okay. Good thing he didn't sing or know most of the material.

Am I missing something? Seemed really not cool. First two sets before he showed up were good.....then it spiraled downhill. Other guitarist next to me was also pissed. Bad band karma......

What do you think?

2. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Do you people talk to each other? Or are you like Yes?

3. Chazinroch

Chazinroch

I'd be ticked too. My band has set a policy on "sit-ins". We generally don't allow it for the following reasons:

1) we do unique arrangements
    2) we don't want people messing with our stuff
    3) if it turns out bad, it reflects on the band
    4) the venue hired a band to play, not to host an open jam

If on the outside chance or unique situation a sit in would need to be ok'd by everyone in the band.

You BL was disrespectful to the band for not clearing this ahead of time.

4. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

I think you should have unplugged him, then pee in the front seat of his car, then stole his girlfriend.

then if he got all mad and stuff just say..

hey you had no problem jumping in on my #### so I decided to jump in on yours.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

Friends of the band/venue don't need permission to play/touch/join in, on any song the band is playing. Make sure you have indentified these people before the show.

;)

7. english4bw

english4bw

Wow... this is when having a HUGE heavy headstock on your bass (like my deluxe USA Jazz does) comes in handy. I just stick that out and swing it around a bit during a song and whoever is too close gets a rude wakeup call immediately. It's a great "this is my space, stay out of it" tool. Doesn't go over too well in church, however. LOL :spit::bassist:

8. eg320

eg320

The interesting part was he came to side of stage as we were playing....wheeling in an amp and just quick set up and started playing. He's a friend and former guitar teacher of BL, and while I usually enjoy guest players......I guess I didn't appreciate his taking over. I sing most of the backup harmonies and couldn't get to my mic, so I just headed to other side of stage.

First two sets sounded pretty good.....third and forth were amateurish and sounded like a jam band.

Overall a fun gig but not our best performance.

9. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude Supporting Member

Awesome, aside from a chokeslam or an atomic elbow drop off of the top rope, This is exactly what I would've done!

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

at our last local gig, the bassist from the opening act ran up on stage and started singing!:confused:

the funny part is, everyone in the band thought he was invited. i just surmized the BL told everyone when i was day dreaming. later we find out the dude was plastered,..lol.:)

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    That should never happen. It's also not professional. If it was a fun gig for no pay......then, whatever but if I'm a venue and I see this, I'm on the BL like white on rice asking him wassup?

12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

You should take it up with the band leader. (Of course, I have never understood this whole band leader is king thing. I have worked for people with whom I disagree plenty of times. And if I have a beef, I TAKE IT UP with them rather than fussing to my wife about it. But that's a story for another day.)

But just tell the guy to be more careful about who he lets on stage. If he has a problem with that and fires you over it, then you work for a D word and will be better off with another gig. But I read threads here all the time about band leaders doing some really dumb stuff. And rather than taking it to them, you bring it to US. Makes no sense. If you are in ANY relation ship where you are so subservient that you can'r bring up problems then you are in the WRONG RELATIONSHIP. That goes for everything from business to wife/girlfriend. My wife and I bring up problems all the time BEFORE they grow and turn into something resentful. These days I do fill-ins but I have been in both the employee AND band leader position. But we're all grownups here. If you have a problem with me, calmly bring it to me. If I have a problem with you, we're gonna have a talk. But then we'll get over it and move on.

Some people will do anything to avoid an argument.

13. Joedog

Joedog

Sounds like you need a serious chat with your BL. Along the lines of "if you ever do that again, you are going to be a solo act". Totally BAD FORM! Around here there is a LOT of guest players, but always known by, and invited onstage by the band. Even though there are several bands (friends) I occasionally join for a song or 3, I would NEVER just jump up on stage without an invite. In fact, I think it is impolite to even ask. One should BE invited. In the guys defense, it seems he WAS invited, so it's all on the BL for not having the curtesy of checking w/the band. Also setting up wherever without asking where the band wants you....WTH!???

14. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

I would have probably unplugged myself, not bothered peeing in his car, and immediately started hitting on his girlfriend. But thats just me:bassist:

This is really the key....to life...

15. eg320

eg320

I did have a talk with BL after the gig, and shared my thoughts with him. So yes....I did communicate with him and the other members of band. Just thought it was uNcool and I thought I'd share and hear some ideas from other bassists.

16. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Why didn't you talk to the guitarist as he was setting up his stuff in your space and stealing your mic that you needed?

17. VitalSigns

VitalSigns

This made my night! Hahah :D

18. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

I guess I'm strange. He would have gotten an earful as soon as he entered my space at the very least.

19. plankspanker13

plankspanker13

NOBODY sings through my mic, period. I've knee'd dudes in the crotch, boxed 'em out, basketball-style, and given the icy glare of death, all without missing a note, or altering my groove. If it's my mic, and I paid for it, I don't need anyone else's yuck-mouthed halitosis rendering it unpleasant, or unhealthy to sing through.

As for guest performers, they can happen, with some frequency, but I usually know what to expect, since I know them, and they do not sing through my mic. This is why I have "beater" basses. I may have to use my hockey skills, and cross-check some idiot with one.

20. Corbeau

Corbeau

I probably would have stopped the guy the moment I saw him, because it's pretty rude to just jump on stage and start playing without asking first. If a band is playing at a bar, it's not an open jam session

21. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

What do *I* think? Two things:

1. I think the so-called "BL" is not being a leader. He is being a mindless buffoon. I would have kicked his buttwad out of the band immediately after the gig so that he could go "lead" some other band. As SNL's David Spade would put it......."buh-bye!"

2. I think the dweebus maximus erectus who somehow generated enough brain power in his under-evolved neanderthal mind to convince himself that just "joining in" was the right thing to do (drrrrrr!) should be forced to listen to Britney Spears singing without Autotune for the remainder of his life. (brutal punishment, I know, but he deserves it).