1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

So torn on fuzzezzzzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mmbongo, Jan 21, 2014.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Yeah, another fuzz thread! At least I have it somewhat narrowed down :)

I'm itching for another fuzz pedal and I'm torn on which one to get.

Top jacks, both power and signal, and a narrow enclosure are requirements. Can't budge from this.
    Soundwise, I had a Tall Font Russian before that sounded great. I like the thickness but need something to cut through the mix better.

On my list so far, because all are under $200.

Earthquaker Hoof
    Fuzzrocious Grey Stache (in a custom enclosure.)
    3Leaf You're Doom
    MojoHand BMP-1
    MojoHand Pompeii (best artwork EVER!)
    MojoHand Huckleberry

I just don't know how these differ in sound. I want thick and somewhat on the edge of out of control.

Open to other suggestions that meet my requirements!

2. Denver Max

Denver Max

Check out the Malekko Diabolik. There's a video on pedalsandeffects that has me sold on one. And that $150 price tag ain't too shabby.

3. sunbrother

sunbrother

Glad to see interest of Mojo Hand, as I'm a huge fan of the Mono Hand Iron Bell. Definitely try one out if you can. Loved it way more than any other fuzz pedal I've tried out or had. It's incredible.

Huckleberry or grey stache would be my next choices from that list.

The BMP is a dime a dozen.

The Pompeii probably won't have enough gain (didn't for me: nice solo at the store but it'd probably get lost in the mix)

The hoof is a pedal that is pick up at a low price, you should definitely demo it first. Raucous but a little muddy.

Not sure I dig the sound of the you're doom in person, as I've never tried one.

I'd love a grey stache or a huckleberry!

4. mmbongo

Fails the requirement list. Reason: no top jacks.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

Yeah I figured the Pompeii probably wouldn't cut it for bass.

But the BMP is limited to only 250 made so they might not be that easy to find.

7. Denver Max

Denver Max

Ah. Oops. Well.
    Iron Ether makes the Oxide with top jacks now. Narrow, and under 200, especially if you hit up the classifieds. I hear it cuts through the mix pretty well too.

8. mmbongo

I'll be on the lookout! Didn't think about an IE pedal :)

9. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Here is a vote for DOOM, it fulfilled all my fuzz needs. It is pretty synthy, but you can get some more traditional fuzz tones out of it. It has GREAT dynamics too, and really responds to your playing.

And it makes you doom. I don't know of a single other pedal that does that :D

10. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    Oxide will cut through the mix, but it has nothing in common with a TFR.

Here's another idea given your very strict requirements: get any fuzz pedal you like and rehouse it. If it's that important, you can pay someone to rehouse it for you as well - though if you have some soldering experience, it's usually not too hard. You can buy a predrilled enclosure and you'd like only have to extend some of the wires for the jacks & power. Obviously you'd need to be rehousing a pedal that has a circuit that will fit in the enclosure you choose, but if you're just moving side jacks to the top it's easy and fun!

11. sunbrother

sunbrother

I actually just updated my post with my experience with those pedals. There's a BMP at my LMS that hasn't moved but I've played it. There are other better options.

12. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Big up for the Doom... and the Oxide too. I had the Oxide for a good long while and liked being able to swing from industrial to gated with the twist of a knob. The Strangle switch was pretty cool too.

But my You're Doom is my go to fuzz now. However, I use fuzz mostly with an OC2 and/or a filter – either a wonder or a manta.

13. sunbrother

sunbrother

Another fuzz I ended up picking up was a Walrus Audio Jupiter. The left and middle switch positions kick ass (with the right switch positioned left for more bass).

The next fuzz I plan on picking up is probably going to be an idiotbox dungeon master. Might need rehouse it.

And I realize those suggestions don't fit with the jacks spec, but definitely try an Iron Bell

14. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

The You're Doom as been my favourite fuzz to date.

I like its low gain settings and it certainly has a bit of a synthy vibe to it but if you flick the switch that scoops the mids, set blend to 50/50, boost the volume, gain and set the tone to about 9 you can get a usable rock fuzz tone.

15. Guinness20

Guinness20

Go for the blackout effectors musket. You like the sound of the tfr, and the mids control will help you cut through better

16. mmbongo

Do they offer it with top jacks?

17. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

the top jacks requirement is a bit bizarre if you don't mind my saying so. Ok - I get you want your board to be clean and tidy, but I would think that the quality of the pedal would outweigh the other requirements.

My two favorite fuzz pedals are the Analogman Peppermint Fuzz (for bass - the non-dark version works better) and the Keeley Fuzz Head. I would think that both those companies could make you one with top jacks if you asked.

18. Guinness20

Guinness20

If the top jacks thing is about keeping yur board neat and tidy, I get it. Honestly though, I think the musket is what you're after. You could always try something like this - looks fairly tidy to me

19. cnltb

cnltb

The unpleasant surprise cuts through alright too I think.
    Front facing sockets it has too(which is a fact that I like a lot as well!)...or at least all on one side. :)

20. mmbongo

I see what you're saying, but keep in mind a pedal with side jacks can be 1-2 inches wider than a pedal with top jacks depending on what cables you use. So if it won't fit on my board, it doesn't matter how good it sounds :)

If I could use side jacks I would have just kept my TFR and I wouldn't be here looking for a top jack pedal. I just assumed there would be at least one awesome top jack fuzz pedal. :D

21. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat