So, wanted to get an answer.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by philvanv, Feb 6, 2014.

1. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    so I came here..
    I currently play a Gamma Alpha P bass with passive pups and a volume and tone nob, straight through to my SUNN 115. I recently had it cleaned and holly carp, this thing sounds like it is right out of the shop 30 years ago...

The strings I play are super light and light strings and together with the amp I get a pretty hi tone. The amp has Volume, Bass, Treb, and Presence. I have messed with the settings but can't seem to find anything similar to what I want. Anybody have any suggestions beside getting thicker strings. I use the lights because of a finger injury..
    Looking forward to some suggestions.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Pluck closer to the neck, with more meaty side strokes.

3. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

If you're looking for lower tone, start with the amp with bass full on and the others flat. Adjust to taste. Some rigs, I'll have no treble, no mids but a ton of bass and then dial in a little treble on the bass guitar. All subjective to your ears. Also, along with playing close to the neck, like Downunderwonder suggested, consider playing with your thumb. Different stroke, fatter flatter surface. That's the way a lot of we old guys learned. If I switch to finger style, immediate difference in tone and volume is noticed. :cool:

4. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    Do not switch to heavier strings, as that will be counter-productive. The lighter gauge equals less harmonic content/ brightness (more fundamental).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Without a mid comtrol...reducing bass and treble a bit, then increasing volume = mid boost.

Or...reducing treble makes is sound bassier by comparison without having to increase bass.

+1 to playing closer to the neck, more pad of finger, less tip. Also work the tone knob on the bass:it's basically another treble knob.

Presence is like high-treble, try turning that down.

7. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Maxing out the bass control probably isn't what you want, but rolling off the treble and presence would be part of it. If new strings are part of the situation, that would explain a lot of it: brand new bass strings are often intolerably bright and buzzy for a week or two. Otherwise, you might consider trying flat wounds, if you haven't already.

8. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    After trying all suggestions i think its just the change from the collosium to the basic Stage 115 w the basic set up on the head. Thanks to all who participated..