1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

So, what are your favorite strings to use??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gregmon79, Dec 24, 2012.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

Hello to all,
    I'm curious to know what all you think are the best strings. I've never been a huge fan of one particular string or the other, favored a couple though. I'm, at the moment, using DR NEONS (green). But I'd like to find a really good, bright yet hard string with some warmth to it. What about y'all??
  2. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I jump around a lot and never really stick with a brand for longer than half a year. My last stink was with DR strings, but lately I've moved back to Ernie Balls (the first strings I ever used on a regular basis). I might try Elixer's next, or maybe some weird like grounds or halfwounds.
  3. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

I'm looking forward to the comments in this thread. I am new to Bass but not guitar. You could go broke changing your strings often depending on the strings you choose. Regular 6 string guitar strings max out at 20ish dollars. Bass strings make you pull out a hundy for some brands.
  4. ImaStupidBaby

ImaStupidBaby Supporting Member

I'm a big big fan of ernie ball slinkys
  5. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

I've gone through quite a few, but I always come back to DR nickels. I have the green Neons on one bass and the nickel Lo-Riders on another. I got Elixirs after hearing all of the hype, but I was very disappointed because they certainly did not live up to it. They introduced this really weird chorus affect that always bothered me. Maybe that makes it sound "fuller" and better to some people, I don't know. It sure wasn't for me, though.
  6. gregmon79

Wow rook, what bass strings are you referring to?! A hundo!? This is true for guitar strings because I do play a little guitar myself. Bass strings will last quite awhile. I've sometimes boiled mine in hot water to prlong their life. It works quite well.

Jmatt, I used to use Ernie balls quite regularly as well but wanted a change. I'm still searchumg for a keeper though. I used to love boomers but grew tired of them after not too long. Maybe I'll try them again soon. I'd like to try the DR black beauties too. I've heard good things. Still want a regular I can't live without and am awaitint testimniols.
  7. gregmon79

I know what you mean about the elixers, I as well did not dig them much.
  8. gregmon79

Never tried the nickels though, I'll have to look into those for sure, thanks.
  9. VBassRookie

VBassRookie

Anyone used the new cobalts? It seems there are many different desired tones from flats to round. I personally like a bright sound and the cobalts or steels appear to give you that. I haven't replaced the strings on my first bass and plan on buying new strings soon.
  10. LikeRaphael

LikeRaphael

Do yourself a favor. Find something that works and stick with it. You'll go broke trying everything under the sun. In the end, it really doesn't matter.
  11. jason1980's

jason1980's

It is all a matter of opinion and what you are looking for in your bass sound and the overall feel of it when you play. The best thing I can suggest is if you have major influences from bassists you listen to and absolutely love their sound then you can see what they use, not saying you have to replicate them exactly, but just incorporating your likes and influences into your sound and playing.

My strings I use are:
    -Ernie Ball Nickelwound Slinkys 55-75-90-110-135 on my Stingray 5
    -Same gauges of the Ernie Ball Slinkys on my Fender P (minus the B string of course)
    -Rotosound Flats 50-75-95-110 also on my Fender P (Steve Harris signature or regular 77s)

And Elixir nickels in the largest gauges I can get on either bass when I am recording because I like my strings brand spanking new out of the box not broken in yet, and Elixirs last so long and keep that brand new zing brightness that I have no other choice but to use them because I can't afford to change strings every other day just to record, lol. I certainly don't prefer the sound of Elixirs over the Ernie Balls I use though.
  12. gregmon79

I somewhat agree with you. I suppose I said somewhat because I still haven't found mine. I guess I'd choose the EB Slinkys if I had to choose. I suppose the reason I started the thread in the first place was to get others opinions about THEIR regulars to see if they would perk my ears at all. I'm liking the DR nickels at the moment. I've recently tried the DR brand with the neons and really dig them. I'd like to see what they sound like without the coating though.
  13. gregmon79

I was referring to somewhat agreeing with likeraph. Sorry folks, still getting used to the fourum.
  14. macrocheesium

macrocheesium

The DR Neons are nickel, that's what I meant. The reason I got the lo-riders was because I liked the sound of the Neons so much, and I assumed they would be the same except without the coating. I can't really say if they sound the same or not since the other bass has such a different tone, but I love both.
  15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Rotos and Blue Steels.
  16. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I have tried many...Ernie Ball, DR, Elixir, GHS etc....but I keep coming back to the Fender 7250's on Jazz Bass and
    Thomastik PowerBass on Alembic Persuader

Different feel and different sound for different styles of songs. But, thinking about putting the 7250's on my Alembic.
  17. Kenzy

Kenzy

I'm surprised nobody's said D'Addario ProSteels yet...

Anyway, they catch my vote! I was blown away when I first started using them. They provide for a great extremely-bright, punchy, metallic tone. I always string my ADJ bass with the Regular Light guage ProSteels. Really, very excellent strings.
  18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

As a real flatwound addicted, I vote for flatwounds. I've tried many different makes and gauges, but Ernie Ball flats are my thing. Tonewise they have the full range and they last quite long. I can order them as singles, so I don't have to buy expensive 5-er sets for my BEAD-tuned bass.
  19. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I used DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams for years but now have a deal with Curt Mangan so that's what I have been using for the last few years. Nickel roundwounds. I like a heavy gauge 55 - 110.
  20. bigbottomend

bigbottomend

Elites stadium