So what's the problem here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Dec 14, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Thinking of buying another MIM jazz bass from my local CL. Can't post the link for obvious reasons so I downloaded the pciture and attached it here. Person said the control plate got ripped off while he was playing and taped it up with electrical tape. Looks kinda sad, but whatever.

What does he mean by that? How does that plate "rip off" so easily when it's been bolted on tightly with three screws?

And he offered a pretty decent price though...but I might talk him down to lower it 100$ more...
  2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I can easily imagine a tug on the cable at the right (wrong) angle making the screw holes in the body yield before the cable, jack, or plate.

Ask for pics with the control plate removed. The fix may be as simple as some toothpicks and wood glue if the holes didn't splinter too bad.
  3. Bongolation

Bongolation

This, though I'm not big on that repair method.

Three screws in that scrapwood body can pull without much provocation, but done right, they can take a big honkin' gouge out of the body.

All else is commentary.
  4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

As the guys there said, happens pretty easily.

I've encountered several guitars and basses where the control plates or control cavity lids mounting holes are only a hair off the cavitys edge on the body.
    One would think that's impossible to happen today with CNC routers and such, but life is full of mysteries.

Some have been DOA and have splintered before anyone outside the factory has even laid a screwdriver on them :).

The screws fall off if You look at 'em funny.

You can always try, but if the price is already good, I wouldn't risk the deal for a 15 minute fix.
    But that's me ;).

Regards
    Sam
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I asked him to show me but no reply. Dang I really was interested too.