So, which should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felix Riley, Dec 25, 2013.

?

Which bass?

1. Customize your SG Bass

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. Warwick Thumb BO

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Rick 4003

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Spector Euro

5 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. Ibanez ATk Premium

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  1. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

hello, fellow TB'ers. Merry Christmas to you all! Anyway, in the spirit of consuming, I am stuck in a choosing dilemma. Now, I play in a prog-metal grunge band (Think Soundgarden/Tool), and I have decided that I need a new sound. I have a Gibson Faded SG Bass, which is a great bass that cuts through, but it needs just a bit more oomph. I was thinking that I might get it customized for me. Other than that, there are 4 basses I am eyeing: Ibanez Atk Premium, Warwick Thumb BO, Rickenbacker 4003, and a Spector Euro or American. I am looking for a grungy, Justin Chancellor/Mike Starr bass tone. Pick in the poll which one you think I should buy, and tell me the reasons below. Happy holidays! :D
  2. Systolic

Systolic

Tricky. So your looking for versatility. Justin has a pretty darn modern rock/metal tone while i feel like Mike Starr was a little like aggressive meat and potatoes. If you were trying for like a Mike Star and Paul D'Amour (of the first 2.5 Tool albums) type tone i'd probably go with with the P/J Spector Euro or the Ric. If you're really gonna try to span that tonal gap, then i'd probably go with (and I can't believe I'm saying this,) the Ibanez ATK.

I've been after these same tones for years now and i'll give quick mention to a few basses that I think may serve you better for these purposes:

1. Warwick Corvette (or apparently Streamer now) $$ Double Buck.
    2. Peavey T-40
    3. G&L L-2000 or maybe even the M-2000. Haven't played the latter yet.

IMHO of course.
  3. EagleMoon

EagleMoon Supporting Member

Personally I would go with the Spector Euro. I've had a Euro and several Rics and IMO the Euro would be the better choice. For me, the Rics lacked low mids that I kept having to mess with the amp to try and put back in. It never sounded right to me. Spectors have that growl immediately and aren't as dependent on amp settings. Easier to set the amp flat and go.
  4. GM60466

GM60466

faded SG and then swap out the bridge with a hipshot
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I voted for the euro mainly because I think it's just plain cool, but I do think it would work well for the style you're working in.
  7. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

If the ATK has a rosewood fingerboard, I'd have to suggest getting that. 4003 would be next in line.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I voted the ATK. I use one in my band, which is a lot like your type of music you play as well, and that bass fits our type of music superbly. It cuts through like no other bass Ive tried and it handles a lot of different tones and pedals well, if you use pedals. Its really a great bass all around. I havent played thousands of basses out there but I have played a few over my time and the ATK is my go to by far. I love my P and my P/J too, but when Im playing with my band, its ALWAYS the ATK. Its versatile, aggressive, loud and clear. Bad a** bass all around. I cant say enough good about it out of all the others you named.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This for sure, I cant recommend the ATK if it has a rosewood fretboard. If its maple, its a go for sure. In fact I would recommend any bass you choose have a maple fretboard. IMO there is a sharper, brighter sound than rosewood.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'd basically choose any of those but the SG.