So you wanna be a Punk star?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

I'd get kicked out of the Punk Union fo sho!
  3. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Somebody needs to smack this self-important brat with a Black Flag record.
  4. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    Totally funny....wrong, but funny and stupid. S little long.
  5. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

His solo was too way to wanky sounding even then. And what punk is he listening to that is all about breakups!?!?!? So youre talking about pop punk then...or emo. He needs to stop talking about a genre he obviously doesn't really know.

It is true that modern punk has more of a strict formula to it but not so with original punk. Tell me The Clash didn't have any originality and i'll slap you around with my copy of Sandinista.

His second crappy guitar was much better looking than the first one anyway.

His problem seems to be that he likes bands like Dream Theater (as advertised by his shirt) and thinks anything not as complex is worthy of ridicule. You could just as easily make a video called so you wanna be a prog star and deconstruct and ridicule the genre in the same way (make sure you often change keys and time signature, make your song go on forever, keep changing patterns so there's not anything resembling a hook, make sure nothing you write could be defined a catchy, write lyrics inspired by fantasy books or sci fi films etc. I mean, these are stereotypes about prog just to be clear, as he was stereotyping punk)
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

The song in the second vid is really Blink 182/Avril Lavigne/Green Day-ish

So pop punk for sure but not really punk
  7. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yeah..... god i wouldnt even dare use the word punk and Avril Lavigne together.

The thing is even Green Day which i listened to in my teen years ill admit, aside from the very early records, most of their lyrics are not even about girls or break ups (though waht the early records DID have was bordering on wanky solos...).

It helps to know what you're talking about if you're gonna make fun of something.
  8. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I think you have to consider his age with his ideas of punk. Punk from the past does not really matter anymore with what the guys who identify with Punk are playing today.

I got a chuckle because I was just as snobby at his age but maybe not to the point I would make a video. I just decided that playing easy music like Country and Punk was a waste of time.

I love the stuff now.
  9. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

yeah funny how we change. If you'd have told my 14 years old self that i would one day enjoy some of GNR songs i would have asked you to direct me to the closest bridge so i could jump off it and keep this tragedy and complete betrayal of my teenage values from ever happening.
  10. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it. Supporting Member

If my teenage self would've known I'd be playing country music on an upright bass in my 30's, I may not have made it to graduation.