Soapbars that sound like SD Quarter Pounders?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VinKreepo, Dec 30, 2012.

1. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

I am trying to find a pickup that will sound as close as possible to a SD Quarter Pounder for my Ibanez SR645. It uses the EMG40 or Bart 45/CF shape IIRC.

I have a set of CB Barts in it right now; however, I just can't get the sound I want. I am looking for the slightly over-driven, hot, punchy sound with the powerful high/low mids but adequate highs present in a SD Quarter Pounder pickup. The Barts are close in tone (a little too scooped around the high mids for my tastes), but extremely dead, compressed, and very resilient to heavy picking/plucking. They would be better for recording than energetic rock/punk lines. And many pre-amps, especially the Bart TC3 I have, color them too much. Plus, I like the sound of passive basses.

Anyway, I am assuming I will need a split-coil soapbar. I've done a lot of searching and haven't found much on this subject, so do any of you know what soapbars comes closest to this sound?

Also, does anyone here recommend a clean preamp that gives a decent amount of drive to the pickups without sounding muddy like a Bart preamp?

Thanks! :help:

2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I would suggest the Nordstrand Big Singles but there are Bartolini P4 shape. However, Nordstrand can make you a custom housing shape.

3. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

What is the difference in tone/sound between the Singles and the Splits? Thanks for the help

4. bongostealth

The Big Singles have big single-coil magnets. The Big Splits use split-coil magnets. They don't sound all that different other than the whole reason to use a split-coil would be to reduce the hum. However, I've used the Big Singles in two separate basses and I didn't hear that much noise at all. Nordstrand also offers Fat Stacks which are two single-coils stacked on top of each other which allows for a more "aggressive" sound closer to the Big Single but with less "noise". Therefore, in terms of aggressiveness, Big Singles is first, Fat Stacks is second, and Big Splits is third.

More information here: http://www.bestbassgear.com/nordstrand-pickups.htm

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    What I have been told by "People that work for Duncan", that they CAN put the the spb-3 into a soapbar cover. Just call their tech support. Good Luck.

7. bongostealth

I believe this is correct. You would contact Seymour Duncan's custom shop. It will be more expensive, but I'm sure they can do it.