**SOLD** EMG 45JX - like new in box **$50 shipped**

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by Jamie_Funk, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

EMG 45JX (single pickup) - like new, purchased a few months ago. Sounds great. In box with all wiring/pots/jack/instructions/etc - fully solderless system

***PRICE DROP***
    $50 including shipping (CON U.S./Canada)

http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/exten...ring/45jx.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  2. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Is this sale for just one pickup or two?

3. Jamie_Funk

Howdy - it is a single 45JX pickup. I have 2 in one of my basses but this one is extra so I'm looking to find it a new home :)

J

4. Spfairchild

Spfairchild Supporting Member

Hey Jamie,

I'm curious about the JX, but just ordered a set of new 45DCXs. The higher resonant peak of the J version appeals to me on paper, though. Can I ask what you thought of the tone compared to one of EMGs dual coil models, if you have had both at one time?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jamie_Funk

Howdy - I currently have BOTH.

My Yamaha Nathan East signature (the first version) has two 45JX with the 3 band BQ preamp

My Yamaha BBG5S had two 45DCX and active tone.

I like both - different sounds of course. The DCX are thicker overall and punchy as hell - kind of like warm Stingray pickups. The JX are hyped up single-coil sounding and super articulate. They don't sound very similar of course, and I wanted two different vibes, so I'm thrilled with both. The "extra" JX I am selling here came from experimenting with a J + MM style pickup config which didn't work for me on either bass. YMMV of course.

Both sets sound good in both basses, but the JX excel in the Nathan East, whereas the DCX work best in the BBG5S.

I've used both the J and DC in the "regular" series, and vastly prefer the X series. For the JX, they are to me "wider" sounding and much less compressed than the original J. For the DCX, a much warmer midrange and a less ":brittle" sound than the original DC.

Hope this helps!

J

7. Spfairchild

Spfairchild Supporting Member

Thank you Jamie, I appreciate that!
    I would have tried the same thing you did - J + DC/MM, as I'm pretty sure I do not want a single coil in the bridge position after trying the TWs I have in single coil mode there. I definitely would want a thick dual coil there. But I had thought about having a J in the neck. I guess for now I'll wait for the two DCXs and see what I think!

8. Jamie_Funk

No problem - one thing I would mention is the TW (or TWX) sound different in "single coil" mode than the JX. I much prefer the JX and DCX over the TW/TWX in any mode.

The other issue with using a JX with a DCX is output level - the DCX is much louder. The TWX sorted that issue by keeping the volume of both modes relatively even - the original TW series did not.

I've tried just about every possible EMG config in my basses over the last couple years - very happy now.

J

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. Jamie_Funk

10. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Gold Supporting Member

PM your way....

11. Jamie_Funk

PM replied.

On hold pending payment ;)

12. Jamie_Funk