Solder Pots?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Grissle, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Grissle

Grissle

Anyone use small Solder Pots for tinning wire? Seems like a handy bit of kit to have around. Or are they more trouble than they're worth?

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

Pots are more of a production tool.
    It takes only a couple seconds to tin a wire with an iron.

-

3. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Great for making jumper cables for your car. Overkill for most sound cables. Although... I once had to fabricate audiophile cables made with Litz wire, where each strand of wire had a coating that required volcanic temperatures to melt away so that the solder could stick. The pot was great for that.

4. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree. Sort the the thing you turn on when you come in in the morning and you use it all day.

I actually have a small solder pot that I picked up at a garage sale for a ridiculously low price (like 50 cents). It's really cute and works really well. Only it's WAY too big a pain to wait for it to heat up to use on any regular basis. Perhaps one day I'll have a weird tinning job that needs it but until then...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Hey, You do know the rule, no pic, no cute 50c solder pot ;).

Unless one is making a snake needing to tin 100+ wires, or something similarily tedious, a solder pot wouldn't be my choice either.

Inhaling all those lead fumes isn't particularily healthy either.

Regards
    Sam

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Oh BROTHER!

All right, wise guy! Here's the cute 50c solder pot!

[​IMG]

Happy? :D

8. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Awww, that's adorable! Seriously though, PM if you ever decide you want to get rid of. I'll give you more than $0.50 for it. I could use something like that when I wind batches of coils.

Ralf

9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I sure am :).

You were correct about the cuteness as well, I wouldn't mind having something like that among my tools either.
    All the solder pot's I've seen have been a lot bigger, to the point of being very inconveient for simple tinning jobs.

Regards
    Sam

10. Grissle

Grissle

I've seen some half that size with good reviews, which is the reason I was curious originally. I'd call them hobbie types, take like 15min to heat up and go.

11. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I have been seeing this term: "a bit of kit" more lately.
    Is this a British thing? Like the time at Disney World when a woman walked up and asked me if I was in the Queue?

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

yes, they are handy if you have a lot of wire to tin. they are also handy for soldering several wires together. And, of course you need to wait a long time for it to get hot and to dip the wires in a separate tin of rosin paste flux before you dip them in the solder.

Great little pot though!