1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Soldering Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tedward, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Tedward

Tedward

I have noticed that the cases on the Alpha pots are getting harder to solder to. Is there aluminum in the metal they use?

Tedward
  2. BassLife77

BassLife77

they put some weird coating on them. I buy alphas all the time. I use a dremel and lightly sand off the coating.
  3. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

i always sand the pots just to rough them up so solder adheres better. never knew about the coating.
  4. Tedward

Tedward

I have always scuffed the surface to remove any oxidation but, still find it difficult to solder with the new ones. It doesn't want to flow. Some times I feel that will damage the wafer from too much heat.

Tedward
  5. BassLife77

BassLife77

had the same problem with alphas I got recently. I think its a coating they put on them. I use a dremel with a stone bit to gently grind it off. then a glob of solder sticks to it easily
  6. Tedward

Tedward

Thanks for the help

Tedward