1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Solid East Indian Rosewood Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Dec 24, 2013.

1. cstar

cstar

As the title says, really. I got a solid, 4 piece, 1.75" thick East Indian Rosewood body blank last Christmas per my request. So, I've had this wood for one year to the day as of tomorrow. Hoped to get to this sooner, but I finally got a chance to tear into this and am overwhelmingly satisfied with the progress so far.

This will be top routed, with control plate only (standard volume, volume, tone arrangement), with 62 RI Fender pickups (for now at least). I will also be making a (lined) fretless neck with a Quartersawn East Indian Rosewood neck blank. Probably going to get cheap Mighty Mite tuners and a Wilkinson bridge for now, for the sake of making "her" playable. Eventually going for Schaller Fender style tuners and a Kahler high mass brass bridge (chromed), the really chunky ones you used to see kicking around.

Pics or it didn't happen:

Attached Files:

• pic1.JPG
      pic1.JPG
      File size:
      127.3 KB
      Views:
    • pic2.JPG
      pic2.JPG
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
  2. cstar

cstar

progress

Attached Files:

3. cstar

cstar

I'm going to be posting a series of photos. This is my second body, any feedback is appreciated :)

Attached Files:

4. cstar

cstar

Working on some pup routs

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cstar

cstar

Finishing some pup routs.

Attached Files:

7. cstar

cstar

Drilled neck holes and routed neck pocket

Attached Files:

8. cstar

cstar

Done except for sanding of roundovers, contours, and control cavity rout. I would have done the cavity rout before but the template I bought had a HUGE cavity rout that I wasn't feeling so I need to make another template. This is the end of the work of Day 2 on this project. Probably about 10 hours in total. Slow going, don't have a bandsaw, work bench, etc etc.

Attached Files:

9. jsb22257

jsb22257

That is Indonesian rosewood , we call it Sonokeling. Beautiful though

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

estimated weight?

11. cstar

cstar

Bathroom scale says 10lbs :bassist:

12. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Just the body?

I guess that means no neck dive, so... You got that goin' for you. Which is nice. :)

p.s. that looks frackin awesome.

13. cstar

cstar

This is true, lol.

Thanks though!

14. pfox14

pfox14

Interesting choice of wood. RW is pretty heavy so I hope the bass isn't too heavy to be comfortable. Sure is nice looking wood though.

15. cstar

cstar

Thanks. I don't mind heavy basses because I don't gig, so I never have to stand and play for really any length of time. I still considered chambering it (going the Fender rout and putting a maple veneer in the middle), but this body isn't turning out as heavy as I thought it would be. My main jazz bass has a northern hard ash body that weighs 7-8 lbs., and that honestly doesn't feel so bad. This body is at about 10 lbs now, and I still need to do the control cavity rout and the contours, so I'm guessing it won't be much different weightwise in the end.

16. cstar

cstar

Some updates! Done with everything. Contours, wire holes, etc. Just needs more sanding and Tung Oil. I'm going to start on the neck within the next week or two.

Attached Files:

17. cstar

cstar

More pics

Attached Files:

18. cstar

cstar

More pics. Pups look good

Attached Files: