1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Solid Gold FX Beta drive? Anyone playing one?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sunfighter, Feb 14, 2014.

1. sunfighter

sunfighter

So im looking at this pedal, love what I have heard, but I have not heard much.
    The description of the pedal sounds perfect, but marketing and reality never quite mix. Love to hear some first hand accounts.

2. iggy

iggy

I'm also curious about this one. I don't think is true pass though.

3. sunfighter

sunfighter

What about it peaks your interest? Im pretty sure it is true bypass, but ive been looking at so many pedals lately. I like the fact that you can get a little grind, more vintage sounding. Also a lot of the demos I see start off with an awful clackity metallic tone and I can never get a good idea of what the pedal actually does a real bass tone, but the solid gold demo I saw was simple and demonstrated the pedal with fairly good clean tone. Im also interested in the Frantone Lo Tone.

4. iggy

iggy

It says nothing on the website about it being true bypass. Doesn't mean it isn't. The fact that I see a buffer pedal as one of the main pedals they sell lead me to the conclusion that it is not true bypass. Correct me if I'm wrong. A deal breaker? You tell me.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Lots of companies make buffer pedals and still offer true bypass in most of their pedals. If it sounds good does it really matter?

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

This is the second time today I've heard of this pedal I have to check it out.

8. cnltb

cnltb

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "Buffered bypass" as a switching system is totally unrelated to whether there is also a buffer in/as the effect circuit.

10. iggy

iggy

ok, again I'm thinking it's not true bypass. If it's not then it would be a buffered bypass. Again, is that a deal breaker for some? The demo sounds good to my ears and it very well could be an over looked pedal if we don't have a TB guinea pig to try it out. Any takers?

11. sunfighter

sunfighter

I think I might bite and get one as soon as my bass juice sells.

12. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Facepalm. Please read post 8 again.

13. iggy

iggy

Bongo, I've got a headache and my feet ache. Please for the love of God, give me a break. P.S. luv u man.

14. bongomania

Disclosures:
    They say if your nose runs and your feet smell, you were born upside down.

Sorry about that. :) The deal with the buffers is that a buffer can be in two different main roles in pedals: either as a switch or as a type of gain stage. If a pedal has a buffer as a switch, we can't assume the main effect is also a buffer when it's switched on. Likewise, if an effect IS a buffer when it is switched on, that doesn't tell us anything about the footswitch, whether it's a buffer too.

15. iggy

iggy

Now that we sorted that out, we still need TB guinea pigs to buy and try and then convince us to shell out our loot for this product. I was a breached baby. I also came out brain damaged. Sorry.

16. cnltb

cnltb

I'd also be interested to know how the BETA compares to the pigtronix Fat drive.

17. OneAri

OneAri

I know it's of little worth compared to the descriptions of someone who owns one but here's a good demo from CME

18. sunfighter

sunfighter

Does anyone know of a demo where they actually start with a good clean BASS tone? A demo in Drop C? Oh, thanks. Damn I'm getting old and grumpy. :mad:

19. cnltb

cnltb

Why not just e-mail them and ask for one...
    They are quite good with e-mails.

20. sunfighter

sunfighter

Beta drive ordered! Should have it by Friday. I'll let y'all know. For the record... I play a P thru a Acoustic 370 into a Acoustic 406 cab, standard tuning, fingerstyle. I'll see if I can up load a demo somewhere.

jj4001 likes this.
  21. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Really using a lot of self control not to order one of these right now.