Solid State amps with huge power?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ledyard, Aug 23, 2013.

1. ledyard

ledyard

I just tried my first Carvin B1500. I got it because it can do 2 ohm and I'm running two 810 cabs. This is my first time in probably 14 years having a solid state amp. The band I'm using it in is heavier music so I kind of like the solid state attack I haven't had in years.
    So since I have not paid attention to anything solid state in a very long time I was wondering what else is out there in this market that's newer? ie: Big power, 2 ohm capable solid state other than the B1500? Or even older amps with capable power like the Acoustic 370. I know their wattage rating is no where near the B1500 but we all know you can almost blow walls down with one.

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The Carvin B2000 is another option. Might be able to find an Ampeg SVT 8 pro. Realistically you move to a power amp. Is the B1500 not getting loud enough through two 810's for you?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Best SS head I've played that fits your bill is the SVT 4 Pro.

4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Thats what 500 a side at 4 Ohms?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

If you're willing to move to a preamp + power amp setup, there are tons of options. Plus, there are a variety of power amps at that wattage or higher that have two independent channels (and thus more potential flexibility in terms of cab impedence, and the ability to adjust the volume of each cab independently).

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    4 Pro specs:

Mono bridged, 1600w @ 4 ohms, 1200 @ 8

2 x 900 @ 2 ohms
    2 x 625 @ 4
    2 x 300 @ 8

All wattages RMS.

8. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

The most powerful I've had:
    SVT4 Pro
    SVT 6 Pro
    GK 1001rb2
    Mesa Carbine

I actually owned them all during the same short period, same band. GK and Mesa smoked the other 2 in terms of punch and volume.

Edit: sorry, didn't see the 2 ohm requirement. GK only goes to 4, not sure about the Mesa.

9. ledyard

ledyard

Sorry.....I didn't mean that I don't like the B1500. its doing just fine.
    What I meant was I was just wondering what else is out there in it's league that I could also try. I will need a backup at some point.

I have major gas for the SVT8 pro. I would never pay what they want for one though. My 7pro was awesome for over a year and a half....favorite ampeg ever for me. Even over a SVT. Just wouldn't run 2 4ohm cabs. But even though mine was flawless....all these problems with quality on the 7 pro make me question the integrity of the 8pro's construction. That's a lot of money for a Korean amp.

The power amp/pre setup is the obvious choice. Looking back right before my 7 pro I should have just stayed with my QSC plx 1602 and Blue letter FJA modded SVP Pro. All the power I could want.
    But I digress...I'm happy with the B1500. I just was wondering what else is out there to try as a "amp head unit' that puts out massive power.

10. ledyard

ledyard

Jimmy, on the 4pro..... That is the one Ampeg I really don't like personally. I have tried those a few times and I just cant seem to get anything I like from it. If I do get a decent tone it completely clips the amp when it gets to a volume I want to run. I passed on a perfectly working 4pro recently for $450:D
    But that was just bridged when I tried it also. It was also back in 2000 when I tried one last.

If things get serious with my new project I will probably use the B1500 as a backup and go back to power/pre setup. Like the QSC PLX 3402 (I think that's the one IIRC) never have a power issue there. OR....I'll just get a second B1500 because I do really like it so far.

11. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

The Hartke Kilo is a two channel amp that does 500W into 2Ω per channel and 1000W into 4Ω when bridged.

The Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.2 and 12.0 both do 600W into 4Ω per channel.

The Genz Benz ShuttleMax 9.2 is 900W into 4Ω, single channel.

12. zachoff

zachoff

Peavey Firebass 700. Not new, but fairly recent & will do what you're asking.

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

The Mesa Titan V12. Does 1200w at 4ohm, and 840 at 2ohm.
    And it's a Mesa...tone to the bone and volume baby!

14. KJung

KJung

The Aguilar DB751 and the Mesa M9 both kick like a mule and will do 2ohms. Unfortunately, the Mesa M series have had some problems, so probably wouldn't recommend that (along with most of the Ampeg current line-up). The DB751 is something though!

I think the B1500, though, is the best 'lead sled for the money' that has ever been made. I had one for a short time when I had my Glockenklang Heart Rock, and it held up VERY well to that amazing head (the Heart Rock is rated for only 2.67 ohms or I'd recommend that also).

If you don't need quite the kick, but dig it warm and punchy, the Thunderfunk 800 is pretty impressive also.

15. JJR58

JJR58

I'm a sucker for the Crest CA-9.
    I have one, ways a bit, but i love it.

16. JJR58

JJR58

weighs that is.

17. deeptubes

deeptubes

18. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

GenzBenz GBE 1200, brings out 1200 Watt @ 2 Ohms, massive sounding, loud and heavy.

19. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep. These guys are making some seriously powerful lightweight ones, including new full range versions of the rack mount sub amps. I stuffed one of their plate amps in a rack case 6 years ago and have never looked back.

20. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    I'd give serious consideration to Ampeg SVT-8PRO or Genz Benz GBE1200. I'd also think about Ampeg SVP plus a Crest power amp or two.

21. Jazz_bass2664

Jazz_bass2664 Supporting Member

Go with the old acoustic stuff and big speakers. No one ever believes me when i say that my 361pp cabinet only has a 200 watt power amp in it. Ive flattened marshall stacks, Solid State ampegs and loud drummers with it. Never had it past 40% on the preamp gain knob