1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Solid top neck thru

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Feb 14, 2014.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

I'm trying to spec out another bass to build and haven't gotten much farther than:

-4 string neck thru
    -Rosewood FB
    -Alder Body
    -Black hardware

I'm still going back and forth on a top to put on it but looking to do something different. Have any of you put a solid top on a neck thru instrument? If so, do you have some pointers/tool recommendations that could help a first-timer?
  2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

By "solid top", I assume you mean the top will cover the neck laminates.

Myself, I love the satin look of Curly redwood.

Like this piece:

http://oregonwildwood.com/guitar-wo...r-woods/curly-redwood-top-sets/rwes13454.html

It's soft stuff, though, so it will need a hard finish to help protect it from dings. Meaning, it'll need a sprayed poly or lacquer finish, rather than a simple rubbed oil finish.

As to your other question...I've never done it.
  3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've never done a solid top, but I think I'd make a template for it and just route the top.

In this vid at 3:00 you can see a great way to make a super tight template.
  4. Big B.

Big B.

I've done this for all of my neck thru builds. I'm at work on my phone now but when I get home I will link you to a thread that shows my process. The most difficult part is getting the neck blank level with the body wings. Once you get past that, a little patience will get you the rest of the way.
  5. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Yeah that's what I mean.

Curly Redwood is very nice, my first bass build was a 6 string neck thru fretless with a curly redwood top and a satin finish :D

[​IMG]

I have never seen templates made that way...may have to look into that.
  6. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Awesome, thanks!