Solo Bass Artists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87 Supporting Member

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a playlist of artists who primarily record with just bass or where bass is the main focus of the song structure. Here are some of the people I know about so far:

Zander Zon - A piccolo bass player who creates covers and original compositions using a combination of altered tunings, tapping, chords, and harmonics.

Diminished Second - A solo bass player who uses extended range basses and coursed basses to create dark soundscapes. He's not the greatest player in the world, and his time needs work, but I enjoy the ideas he's trying to express.

A Ninja Slob Drew Me - This guy plays an 8 string non-coursed bass (B-Bb) and primarily plays by tapping. His recordings have a lot of electronic ambient sounds and sometimes it's hard to tell that there's a real instrument in the mix, but it's still enjoyable if you're in the mood for it.

SMV - This is a supergroup trio made up of Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. They did a live tour with a full band but the music was really focused on these three. Very funk oriented.

Jeff Schmidt - This guy mainly plays fretless piccolo and he's a master of it. He hasn't done much since the mid 2000s as far as I can tell, but I don't know if he's retired, per se.

MIchael Manring - A bass player known for playing fretless bass using alternate tunings which change during songs and his use of polyrhythm.

Who else would you add to the list?
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

3. dls119

dls119

Yves Carbonne
  4. Spectrum

Spectrum

Aram Bedrosian

Also, look up Clatter. 2-person band with just drums and bass:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. metalhead398

metalhead398

Victor Wooten

Weather Report(?)
  7. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    Felipe Gomez, his band is called Bass Invaders.

He's from Chile, living in Canada, and I saw him at a bass clinic--incredible playing on a 6 string fan fret bass.
    He plays a custom made Dingwall bass and he let people try it--real nice.
    Not enough to make me buy one--I find 4 sufficient for what do.
    But he's good.
  8. joeyw

joeyw

Evan Brewer
  9. basskal77

basskal77

John Patitucci, Victor Bailey, Bass Extremes (Wooten + S. Bailey), Alain Caron, Adam Nitti, Enrico Galetta, Richard Bona, Matthew Garrison, Jay Tee, Mike Pope
  10. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Grzegorz Kosiński is pretty cool.