1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Solo Bass Artists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Hey guys,

I'm trying to create a playlist of artists who primarily record with just bass or where bass is the main focus of the song structure. Here are some of the people I know about so far:

Zander Zon - A piccolo bass player who creates covers and original compositions using a combination of altered tunings, tapping, chords, and harmonics.

Diminished Second - A solo bass player who uses extended range basses and coursed basses to create dark soundscapes. He's not the greatest player in the world, and his time needs work, but I enjoy the ideas he's trying to express.

A Ninja Slob Drew Me - This guy plays an 8 string non-coursed bass (B-Bb) and primarily plays by tapping. His recordings have a lot of electronic ambient sounds and sometimes it's hard to tell that there's a real instrument in the mix, but it's still enjoyable if you're in the mood for it.

SMV - This is a supergroup trio made up of Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. They did a live tour with a full band but the music was really focused on these three. Very funk oriented.

Jeff Schmidt - This guy mainly plays fretless piccolo and he's a master of it. He hasn't done much since the mid 2000s as far as I can tell, but I don't know if he's retired, per se.

MIchael Manring - A bass player known for playing fretless bass using alternate tunings which change during songs and his use of polyrhythm.

Who else would you add to the list?
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

3. dls119

dls119

Yves Carbonne
  4. Spectrum

Spectrum

Aram Bedrosian

Also, look up Clatter. 2-person band with just drums and bass:
  5. metalhead398

metalhead398

Victor Wooten

Weather Report(?)
  6. zontar

zontar

Felipe Gomez, his band is called Bass Invaders.

He's from Chile, living in Canada, and I saw him at a bass clinic--incredible playing on a 6 string fan fret bass.
    He plays a custom made Dingwall bass and he let people try it--real nice.
    Not enough to make me buy one--I find 4 sufficient for what do.
    But he's good.
  7. joeyw

joeyw

Evan Brewer
  8. basskal77

basskal77

John Patitucci, Victor Bailey, Bass Extremes (Wooten + S. Bailey), Alain Caron, Adam Nitti, Enrico Galetta, Richard Bona, Matthew Garrison, Jay Tee, Mike Pope
  9. TrickPanda

TrickPanda

Grzegorz Kosiński is pretty cool.